General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands fall asleep

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM
gateswork
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also well over fifty and my right hand numbs out, I bought a CrampBuster, which I hoped would work, but it only lasted about a month before it broke. Of course the Companies warranty was worthless; not even the courtesy of a reply. I now wear gloves, even though I look kind of foolish in South Florida in the Summer :-)

Old 08-28-2010, 02:05 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Might I suggest occasionally reaching around and squeezing parts of your passengers anatomy. At least it will keep some of your parts from falling asleep!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good thread.
Same issue here. I find that IF I have not been drinking enough water then the circulation in my hands lets me know. Dehydration= poor circulation
Note: have proven that beer is not a good substitute for water when it comes to circulation needs.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

To lazy to read threw this entire post but do you have stock grips? If so alot of folks rave about the ISO grips being very comfortable, and there reasonably priced.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
LebanonRider
Advanced

While there are a variety of reasons for your hands/fingers to go numb, one very common cause is pressure on the palms of your hands in the area in the middle near the thumb. Nerves are routed through that area. Pressure there, either by gripping tightly, or by having weight on your hands will cause the 'numb' symptoms. Try not only relaxing your grip, but resting your hands lightly on the bars. It's a subtle change -- usually you have to lean a little more forward to keep the weight off your hands. Many riders don't realize how much pressure they're putting on their palms. It's quite common depending upon your height, reach, bar configuration, etc. There is one brand of riding gloves (I've forgotten the name) that addresses this problem with little gel pads in the sensitive area. IMHO, it's easier to try 'unweighting' your hands when you begin to feel the numbness creeping in.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ride more. grips and gloves wont help.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Very possible that ya just got to move your hands around once in a while. See ya got a touring and prob have cruise. set it and work your hands now and then.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM
PAULSHOG62
Stage I

I'm probably to late to help you. I have a similar problem first two fingers right hand
go numb. At times the whole arm. I don't want to alarm you, but I have helped other drivers. There is a good chance that you have a disc in your neck usually c-5 or c-6 which is compressing your nerves and or spinal cord. I would recommend you see a Dr. and get an MRI. I was able to get good results with physical therapy. Sometimes it requires surgery. When your arm goes numb or at the onset of tingling try putting
your chin to your chest for several minutes and see if the numbness subsides.
Best of luck to you. I hope this was helpful.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: I figured it out, I think.

After taking many of your suggestions into note, I started with the cheapest suggestion. I removed the gloves. Fixed!

Then I decided that I liked riding with gloves and need to take this to the next level. I always wore the gloves loosely, but made them even looser...barely attached at the wrist velcro. No more numbness.

I guess there is an artery right there that with even the slightest pressure can cause this???

Dunno but it seems to be working so far.

Thank you all. I'm glad it was a cheap fix.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't over grip your grips. Relax.

Quick Reply: Hands fall asleep