General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustang wide solo and backrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang wide solo and backrest

is there anyone out there that is unhappy with this seat.?I would like to know why. before I buy one, there alot of money and I have been thru alot of different seats .still searching for that seat i can be comfortable on longer than two hours.would also like to know how the backrest fits and if you have to lean back to use it--------------thanks tom

Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

backrest is adjustable, have this seat on my street glide and love it. 4 & 500 mile days no problem. i have nothing bad to say about mine.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jury's still out for me. I've only done one 300 mile day since buying it. Adjustable backrest is definitely a nice feature but so far I haven't found the seat to be that much more comfortable than my stock Heritage.

Of course I never really had an issue with the stock seat, bought the Mustang mostly for the backrest.

One thing I noticed is that it puts you up and back about 3/4" on the Heritage. The extra height may just be a perception thing because the wider seat spreads your legs a bit more.

Good thing about the Mustang is that if you do get it and decide it's not for you, they hold their value well and sell quick. Least that's what convinced me to give it a try.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by georgemcghee
backrest is adjustable, have this seat on my street glide and love it. 4 & 500 mile days no problem. i have nothing bad to say about mine.
+1
Only thing for me at 5'9" the seat is so wide I have some trouble flat footing at stop's because it pushes my legs out a bit to much. But that's not a seat problem that's my problem...Very good seats.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
purvissp
Cruiser

Have had mine 2 months and have ridden about 2000 mi with it and it is great. Would not leave home without it.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 2,016 Posts

I can't speak for the backrest, but the Mustang wide solo seat is the single best thing I ever did for my Softail. The OEM Fatboy style seat was good for no more than two hours before my butt could count every stitch in the seams. The Mustang is comfortable for all day riding. The kickup at the rear is all the back support I need. I've had it on my bike for about 12 years and 110,000 miles. I still use it.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM
ChopinRockwooD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had mine for a season and a half (40,000km) and have Chronic low back pain from a MVA. This seat does not give me any extra pain and have ridden 12+ hours in a day and have walked away with a smile on my face. A little tired but VERY happy with the seat and backrest. I've never rode without the backrest, and it can be adjusted like others have said with the turn of a screw while ridding. I also have the passenger pillion and my wife is also happy with that. not cheap but well worth the price IMO. Looks cool also. I have a RoadKing Custom and with that seat I am flat footed with bent knees. (I"m 5'9)

Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I had this setup on my old EG, and found the backrest to be the best I have used, BUT, the seat was another story. Being as wide as it is, I found that my left leg was
constantly going to sleep on me. I would get a cramp in the hip socket, and then the leg would just about fall totally asleep. The first time it happened I thought it was just a quirk, but after it happened on every ride, after 2 weeks, I sold the setup.
It was so bad that when I pulled over and tried to get off the bike my leg pretty much buckled under my weight, and I almost fell to the ground. The way the seat hits the upper thigh, it just seemed to be too wide for my body.
It's just enough wider in the nose area, that it actually cut off the circulation to my leg. Why only the left side I don't know, but it was a total PITA!!!
My 2 cents worth....
The backrest is the BEST though, I even bought one to use with my comfort stitch
seat on my Road King. The only way to really find out if it fits you is to buy one, unless you know someone who will lend you one to test with.
Good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you buy the seat from mustang they will let you try it out for something like ten days if you don't like it return for refund

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
rfwaters
Advanced

I've put about 2000 thousand miles on mine and it beats the hell out of the stock seat that comes on the new wide glides, i use the back rest on long rides and it is sweet, take it off when im putting around town.

Quick Reply: mustang wide solo and backrest