General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Six weeks ago a friend of mine was killed when a car turned into him at 40mph. I contiplated selling my bike, asking myself, why couldn't that happen to me? I've been riding 25 years and pride myself on my defensive riding habits and the fact that I've never had any real close calls. He, too, had been riding his whole life. This evening I was traveling home, 50mph on the two-lane road I take all the time. Car opposite direction, signaling left into service station, turns in front of me. Ironically, the same exact scenario that killed my friend. I had this really odd feeling, before it happened, that he was going to do what he did. I veered right and went off the road, through several big pot holes, wacked a mail box, and came to a stop in somebody's front yard. It all happened so fast and all I remembered was thinking, "it's finally happening". I looked back and saw a major cloud of dust. A car stopped, asked if I was OK, and chased the car because it went on through the service station, never stopping. I dialed 911 and when the frick'n idiot cop got there says, "a lot of my friends have been killed on bikes and, even if I caught him, it's only a failure to yield". I told him it was attempted murder. They're checking surveilance cameras, but nothing is probably going to come of it. The good samaritan that chased him, lost him, but came back and made a statement. Anyways, I'm done, had enough, selling the bike. If it can happen to me and my friend, both super experienced riders, it can happen to anyone! How do you prevent this scenario that killed my friend and, if it wasn't for the grace of God, me? What's wrong with people? My headlight and passing lamps are so frick'n bright that my buddies complain when I'm behind them. How could I not be seen? In the cloud of dust, I'm sure he didn't know my outcome, leaving me for dead. I'm so shook up right now, becoming more pi$$ed by the moment. He couldnt have come any closer without hitting me. And I can't even explain how I kept it upright at 50mph through gravel with major potholes off the side of the road and then clipping the mailbox. There's nobody out there that loves to ride more than me, but I'm done! I have four kids at home that begged me to sell after what happened to my friend. What a fool I was. it's just not worth it. A friend of mine once told me, it may not be today, maybe not tommorrow or even next week or year. Maybe not even five or ten years. But eventually it's going to happen and it's not going to be good. I'm convinced he's right. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did, and there was nothing I could do about it. So GoodBye and Farewell my forum friends. I've enjoyed this forum immensely. I don't mean to discourage anyone, but needed to share and bid farewell. I'm going now to hug my kids. I don't feel right signing off by telling you all to ride safe, because I was.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not gonna try and change your mind. Live for your kids and wife now. When they are gone-live for yourself. That's what I did. I roadrace, ride the bike and SCUBA dive. Never did any of that until my kids were out of the house.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
bikermama
Road Captain

I'm glad your okay, sorry about your friend! God bless!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
rickf28
Advanced

Soory to hear this...

You can still be an active member of the Forum even if you dont ride.

Dont give up your friends because you have decided to give up your bike.

Im glad to hear that you didnt get seriously hurt or killed.

Rick

Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No time to react

I had the same thing happen to me in 03, straight stretch, two lane road, a pilll head pulled right over on me, no signal, no warning. He just let me get almost even with him and pulled left of center right in front of me. I was hurt bad and local hospital had to send me to Lexington. 3 weeks and wondering if I was going to lose my leg even after 3 surgeries. 3 more weeks in rehab and then laid up all winter. Have never been the same after that wreck. They are questioning me in emergency about drinking and never even give the pill head that had just got out of rehab a ticket.

I don't drink but I was on a motorcycle so that make me automatically at fault. It put me on a Trike but I still ride, play it over in my mind and there was no way anyone could react fast enough to avoid those types of situations.

Hate to see you hang it up but completely understand, I don't have many friends left that ride. Most already killed on bikes.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It IS only failure to yield.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry about your friend,glad that you're O.K.,sometimes we have to do what we think is right for ourselves and our families,Good Luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

I too am glad your okay. Sorry to see you go but I respect your decision. All the best!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM
mean green
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

Man, what a story. My mind has been racing these last few days as well.

I was coming home on the Garden State Parkway, a three lane highway, in New Jersey in the center lane. Going 65 to 70 mph and traffic slows suddenly. I slow down, and check my rear view mirror. Car behind me is slowing down I think all is good. Out of nowhere I here this horrendous screaching. I look in my mirrors, holy crap, a car right behind me in the right lane is scidding sideways out of control. I keep moving about 20 mph and watch this car coming skidding right by my in the right lane and slam into the highway barier. The car then bounces of the barier, and no lie crossing all three lanes of traffic. I watch the car pass by 10 feet in front of me. It was close to rolling, I could see the undercarraige of the car. The car slams into the barrier on the left then keep moving foward slamming into the first car in the left lane. At this point I was directly parrallel to the accident. I could see the suprised and shocked look on the driver and passengers eyes.

My first thought was to stop and see if they needed help. I was still moving look in the rear view mirror and traffic was madness all over the place. If I would have stopped I would have been hit, no doubt in my mind. I let loose on the throttle and watch the cluster unravel behind me. I just thought, holy $hi! if I was one second ahead that car would have taken me out. I love riding, but things like this make you think.

If only I had that on video tape. Its not everyday that a car crosses three lanes of traffic on two wheels just a few feet away from your front fender.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Good bye! I'm very sorry to hear about your friend and glad that you weren't hurt by that idiot. You message really struck a cord with me. I've been having similar thoughts for a couple of years. My outlook is, I can always by a convertible sports car and get a thrill. It's not the same, but it's close enough.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!