General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I had the same thing happen to me in 03, straight stretch, two lane road, a pilll head pulled right over on me, no signal, no warning. He just let me get almost even with him and pulled left of center right in front of me. I was hurt bad and local hospital had to send me to Lexington. 3 weeks and wondering if I was going to lose my leg even after 3 surgeries. 3 more weeks in rehab and then laid up all winter. Have never been the same after that wreck...
I had my crash in 03 also. Guy decided it was more important for him to turn left than it was for me to continue travelling. Life flighted, the whole 9yds. Wondering if I'd keep the leg. 8 surgeries. Never fully recovered. I know EXACTLY how you feel. People always ask the same 2 questions, "Does it still hurt?" (Yes). "Do you still ride?" (HELL YES!)

Originally Posted by coupe55
Hate to see you hang it up but completely understand...
Yepper.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
widowmaker221
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't quit you will regret it. "I always tell everyone just to remember that I was having the time of my life except for the last two seconds, Oh shi_ !! Life is about loss unfortunately.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
rmarfil
Intermediate

I guess I have the mindset that risk is everywhere big or small and I will never stop doing the things I love. I have had a few accidents and close calls myself as most of us have and not all on a bike.

In the past fifteen years I have had two family members die riding motorcycles, four in cars, one snow skiing, two from cancer and one shot while hunting. Death and accidents happen and it sucks, you can stop doing things to limit the risk but that doesn’t mean something won’t happen today or tomorrow that are out of your control that you thought was completely safe.

Just read this in our local paper.

Oak limb hit by shotgun blast falls on squirrel hunter, killing him
http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_15555581?source=rv

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

How many people do you know who have died or been seriously injured driving their cars or trucks? Did you stop driving your car forever after that? Give it some time, you might change your mind, then again, maybe you won't and that'sd ok too if that's your choice.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Been down and busted up once myself, got back up and on, scared for a while but it passed. Met a women with two daughters, moved in, sold the bike, didn't ride for TEN years 'til the girls were grown. Bought a new '06 Deuce in April of that year, rode it to Sturgis that summer, been riding since then as much as I can. Woman tried to cross the road in front of wife and I a couple of weeks ago, was a nano-second from taking the ditch when she screeched to a stop inces from my left knee. Been riding nervous since then, but I know that will pass. Idiots try and take my *** out everytime I ride, it seems. Expierience has saved my bacon more than once, instinct is a wonderful thing. If your instinct is to park it then so be it, but wait a while before selling your ride, things change every day, so might your mind. Peace, dennis...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got to say that way more people die in car accidents than motorcycle accidents. So are you going to stop driving or riding in cars? More people die of head injuries from falling in the bathtub than from crashing a motorcycle. Are you going to stop taking showers? You need to ask yourself how much you're going to let unreasoning fear rule your life.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced
Thumbs up

Your decision is yours and God bless and good luck.
I had a minor crash last year (own fault).
Bike had about $800 cosmetic damage and I had been thrown about 10 feet. Ribs were badly banged up after landing on them. It shook me pretty good but rode home with bent parts. Had trouble riding with sore ribs but got back on ASAP to shake the newly found nerves. Lucky was wearing proper gear.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a personal choice man. Nobody can offer any ideas or suggestions that could make you feel better about riding if you're not comfortable riding anymore. You may at some point later think you made a bad decision but at least it was your decision.

Good luck and take care.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Len
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best friend, a Nurse, Gambler, Psychologist - survived two tours in Viet Nam; loved his life; loved talking about his Viet Nam exploits; loved to gamble; he died a couple of years ago at 54 of a heart attack.

A fellow classmate of mine died in Israel - his Army tank was blown up (he was doing what he loved!)

My Dad, salesman extraordinairre; loved to tell jokes; loved his family; loved his job! He died of a heart attack at 49.

My Cousin, lawyer and judge; loved Tennis; loved the legal profession; loved his neices and nephews; always had a smile on his face!
Died of cancer at 54.

My Hero Son, 4 combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan - still with us! (THANK GOD); He loves being a MARINE! OOH RAH!

Me, been on a bike since I was 19 - I'll be 60 this year.

My point is, "LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE, LIFE!" You don't know what life has in store for you!

God has a plan (IMO); enjoy your time doing whatever it is you love to do!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear... it is what it is though, & ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Take care & stay safe.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!