General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 AM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck & GOD ..BLESS.. you know whats best for YOU....I have been to those funerals too...............

Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
mjelson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SniperCJ
THAT's the 25 years of riding. The fact that you didnt have to think about what to do to control the bike and get it where you needed it to go. Instinct took over and you got the job done.

Ive been riding a few more years than you and have gotten out of a couple of bad spots that I KNOW riders with less time wouldnt have worked out of. Feels good.
Couldn't agree more. Instinct has saved me a number of times from situations. Experience is key.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. I've been riding for 35 years. I accept the risk in riding, but today's drivers are much too distracted and inattentive. I fully understand your decision.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend, thats truly said. I'm also sorry to hear you want to hang it up, but thats a personal decision only you can make. I'll never hang it up, but thats just me. I've had cancer not once, but 4 separate times. Some thing or some one has been trying to kill me for quite some time and some one else has refused to let that happen. I just can't give up one of my few passions for what may or may not be my fate. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Dog Father
Cruiser

Glad to hear you made it through that crash. Good luck in whatever you decide to do from here on out. You've done the bike thing and can move on knowing you did it and had a great time. Sometimes we have to give up things we love but there will be something else to take its place.

I think we all understand the risks involved with riding out there and most do their best to minimize the risk. At the end of the day there is always the possibility of it coming to end, its a personal decision whether the benefits outweigh that risk.

I wish you an your family well. Don't consider it a loss, but a transition to something else you will enjoy with your family and get the most out of life. God bless and thank you for posting this.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't say that I blame you. I read in one of my motorcycle magazines about a biker with 2.5 million miles on motorcycles and he now rides a trike. I think he's 84. That makes me feel good about riding - that it is possible to be a lifetime rider and die of old age.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,166 Likes on 6,706 Posts

Living to be 101 years old, and eating soft food in a nursing home is overrated.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Understood and BTW my condolences.
It is a crap shoot out there no doubt.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I may just be crazy but I am of the opinion that when your number comes up, it doesnt matter the "how" or the "why". In my 60 years on this rock I have survived a couple of car wrecks, two motorcycle wrecks, and cancer. I do agree it gets more risky to ride everyday and all the more reason to be extremely careful but I continue to ride and will continue until something beyond my control prevents it. I respect your personal decision and think you made the right choice for you. As someone has already said, living to 101 is greatly overated. For me, riding is a passion and I will continue to do so until I am no longer physically able to swing a leg over the saddle.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

it's a decision only you can make.

real sorry to hear about your freind.

i understand how the guy who cut you off leaving the scene leaves an extra bad taste in your mouth.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!