General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man what a depressing article sounds like 90percent of us are going to die, are you giving up driving your car because a dumb trucker will not yield, sorry for your friend, i`ve been riding 40 yrs and know hundreds of riders none have been killer or even bent a toe good luck and don`t walk under any ladders

Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's not attempted murder, it's the driver being careless or simply not noticing you, we've all done it. why do people take this stuff so personally? i've been turned into, run out of the lane, cutoff, hundreds of times in my car and bike, it happens... 36,000 people die in their cages every year too but i don't think they take everything as personal as us on bikes do.

why are people so afraid of dying? billions upon billions have done it and they ain't complaining. seriously get good life insurance and ride on. we all die you may be quitting riding with an inoperable tumor in your brain that'll kill you in 6 months.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
why are people so afraid of dying? billions upon billions have done it and they ain't complaining. .

Now this is funny as ****.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your friend bro but atleast you came out ok i was thinking about quiting riding have a son on the way in a few but i cant wait to teach him how to ride and only hope he has the luck i have and the passion for riding i have gotten

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I'll play devil's advocate.

My cousin died when his dune buggy rolled over on him. People die from stepping into traffic all the time because they weren't paying attention. Hell, people die for all kinds of reasons. When it's your time, it's your time. And before all the flaming starts, yes I've been in accidents and yes I've seen my life flash before my eyes. I've also watched a helicopter that a friend was in auto-rotate to the ground and fall to pieces. Didn't mean I wasn't in the air the next day.

If you want to quit riding, by all means quit. Part of riding is accepting risk and if you don't accept that risk and ride nervous, you will put yourself and others in even greater risk. Fear is a good thing in moderation, but you have to overcome it to live.

Please understand, I'm not attacking you or your decision, just giving the other side of the argument.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

About 5 years ago, a lady my wife worked with, and her husband, were killed in a bike crash. They were riding on a 4 lane divided highway and a cage hydroplaned in the opposite section of highway, slid across the grass median, and hit them head on.

My wife stopped riding with me. She didn't try and make me stop, she just wouldn't go with me. This year she's riding with me again. I didn't push her, just asked her now and then to go with me.

It just took some time with her. Maybe someday you'll decide to ride again.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

The 'frickin idiot cop' was correct. Its failure to yield right of way. Definately NOT attempted murder. Dont take it out on the cop because somebody turns in front of you.

And you managed to keep it upright BECAUSE youve been riding 25 years. Nice job.

I stopped scuba diving years ago because I was no longer comfortable in the environmemt. If I'm ever uncomfortable in the air, I'll stop skydiving. Same with the bike I guess, but I'm not even close to that.

As the man said in Tombstone...Well...bye...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
coiledup
Tourer

I'm very sorry to hear about your decision. It's good to hear your ok. I have always said that even if you knew when and how you were going to go, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. I am not trying to sway your decision, just stating a belief I have always kept with me. If you stop living for fear of dying, you may as well just stop living. Love every minute God gives you on the little green ball of fun, cause you never know when you wont be here to enjoy it anymore. Maybe step away take a deep breath. I hope I have 23 years under my belt someday too.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
qwispichkn
Tourer

I refuse to live in fear.

Good luck. Hopefully you will live a full long life and go in you sleep when it's time.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!