General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM
FrankDLS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishHarleymin
I am curious, when you have a bike totaled out, can you remove any aftermarket parts that are salvageable? or does the bike become insurance property?
The bike becomes insurance property. But you have the option to buy it back if you wish. Which is what I did. Then I sold it for a few dollars more.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
50mph on the two-lane road I take all the time. Car opposite direction, signaling left into service station, turns in front of me. Ironically, the same exact scenario that killed my friend. I had this really odd feeling, before it happened, that he was going to do what he did. I veered right and went off the road, through several big pot holes, wacked a mail box, and came to a stop in somebody's front yard.
That happened to me when I first started riding my first Honda, about 20 years ago. Old lady came around a curve and just came right at me head on and forced me off the road. I ended up stopping in gravel at the top of a 8 foot drop into a creekbed. Stuff happens - made me mad for a while is about all.

I don't get it, but do what you want. Different people will certainly have different reactions.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Your the only one that can make that decision,and for your own reasons all have to respect that.Good Luck

Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM
shiftharder
Road Master

Why not turn into a Sunday rider ? - cuts down on the chances for an accident but keeps you in the game.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Same sh*t could happen when driving your car... would you then give up driving that? Rethink it, my friend!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
A friend of mine once told me, it may not be today, maybe not tommorrow or even next week or year. Maybe not even five or ten years. But eventually it's going to happen and it's not going to be good. I'm convinced he's right.
Gloom and doom predictions are always right! All you have to do is wait long enough and they can say, "I told you so." If you drive a car long enough, you'll have an accident. If you use a hammer long enough, you'll mash your thumb. If you use a knife long enough, you'll cut yourself. I wouldn't put much stock in living life with that mindset. If a person doesn't want to ride anymore because they're not willing to accept the risks, that's fine. The odds for an accident don't increase with time. They are the same each time you ride.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
ArtR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CSI Topeka
It IS only failure to yield.
AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!

Art

Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Riding a motorcycle is a dangerous hobby. When I first started riding I looked for answers to make me a better rider. I will never forget what an old motorcycle rider said to me, "Is riding that motorcycle worth you life?" "Can you live with the knowledge that that motorcycle could kill you any day?" "Would you rather die than not ride that bike?"

Man those questions through me into a loop. I told him I will think about it and get back with him. One day I saw him several years later. I said I have the answers to your questions now. I stated, "I would rather die than not be able to ride and enjoy my life." "Riding this bike is one of the things I live for and if I die while riding then God will see it through." "I will not tempt God by doing stupid things on the bike but I will ride." "If it takes my life then I die while I am doing what I enjoy."

The old biker said, Now you know why I still ride. This hobby is not for everyone and the ones it is not for its best they ride in a car. No shame living your life as you want too. I just choose to live the way I want too.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,405 Posts

"My headlight and passing lamps are so frick'n bright that my buddies complain when I'm behind them."
Maybe the oncoming driver was blinded by your "so frick'n bright" lights, and was unable to accurately gauge the distance between your vehicles. "Failure to dim headlights" is a moving violation in some states. That's not a valid excuse for the cager but in his/her mind the turn into the gas station had possibly already began and he/she guessed that the turn could be completed by the time you got there. I no longer hug the centerline when there's oncoming traffic and am always ready to shift my weight to the right in case I have to dodge the oncoming vehicle. Motorcycling is an extreme sport and death is always near when you're riding. Good luck in your future, and safer, endeavors.

Last edited by RK4ME; 08-04-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I sure hope you don't have any friends who get killed falling in the shower or down the stairs or in a car/boat/plane/bus/segway accident, or get hit by a meteor walking down the street. I guess you should just live in a bomb shelter or a bank vault or something where you will be safe and sound from all life's accidents. Sorry...

just sayin'

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!