General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM
FrankDLS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend . I also have a friend that had an accident on a motorcycle. He lived but is now living in a nursing home. He hit his head riding without a helmet. It was his first bike and he only had it about 6 months before the accident. I've also had a few close calls where cars pull out in front of me. I try to watch my surroundings as much as possible. I can't allow myself to give up something that I truly enjoy. When I got my first bike I knew right then that it could be something that is dangerous. But I also look back at my life and see that the majority of it was living dangerously. When I ride now it relaxes me I leave all my troubles behind when I am riding. I recently took a trip to Texas from here in Virginia and in the middle of the night with my bike parked by the front door of my daughters house a lady ran her vehicle through the yard and hit my bike and hit my daughters house. She was higher than a kite but the cops didn't do a thing to her either.She didn't even have insurance. Totaled out my bike and caused over 10000 dollars damage to my daughters house. I just thank God that I wasn't on it. But even then I knew that I had to get another bike so I hauled that one back to Va. in back of a truck that I had to rent. Took it to the Harley Dealership to have them give me an estimate for my insurance and it also came out to 10000 dollars of damage. So the insurance company totaled it I knew that I had to get another one and I knew that I had to get it fast. So I purchased my first new Harley and I can't say that Riding is safe but I also can't say that crossing the street is safe. I can't allow fear to control my life. As the saying goes "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" So I keep taking risks and keep on Riding because it is something that I truly enjoy. Just think about it I have 2 daughters and 6 Grandchildren and I love it when I pull up on my motorcycle that they come out running knowing that it's me pulling up.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 3,300 Posts

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
You said you hit a mailbox. So he caused an accident and left the scene. Sounds like more than failure to yield to me.
A MAILBOX ?

Doesn't that make it a Federal crime ?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Park the bike for a few weeks before you make a final decision...What you are experiencing is normal..I parked my bike for a month after watching a brother go off the road ond over a 10-ft ledge...We both rode a few months later..

Aside all the drama, it is your decision to make....You gotta do what's right for you!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:44 AM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to op wow thats a deep story ..but my buddy also died on his bike on his way to my place..i go on memorial rides every year for him and his family..
so i can say i know how you feel but giving up riding isnt what your buddy would have wanted im sure..as for it being your time well that goes without saying and for anything we do ..riding ,driving,walking across a street..id park the bike until you get over his death then start with a ride in his honor be it a short ride to some place you guys hung or a long ride to reflect..

Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take care. live your life. ive had friends die in my life also. this is what people do. some sooner than others, but people die every day. they have kids too. you have to do what you need to do and some of us do what makes us happy.

die at 45 after a good live and doing what i love, or die in my late 70-80s wondering what could had been???? ill take 45...

be safe

take care

Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For the guy`s that say are you going to stop driving your car too. You must admit it`s safer in a car than on a bike. All thing`s come to an end if it is time for him to stop riding, then i respect his choice.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 AM
Smitty79
Road Master

I feel your pain. I have a couple of friends who are no longer with us because some douche bag took them out or because of a freak accident. I will say this, I continue to ride because I enjoy it and both of my buddies enjoyed it. If you feel it's best to quit riding for your families sake, then do it for them and enjoy your time with them. I keep riding to help with my sanity and to honor my friends who are no longer here. But if they were you can bet we'd be riding together, and every time I get on my bike I feel like they are with me enjoying the trip as much as I do.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Saltydog
Advanced

What first started me thinking about this subject was all the lawyer commercials directed at riders who've gotten smacked.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
IrishHarleymin
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankDLS
Sorry to hear about your friend . I also have a friend that had an accident on a motorcycle. He lived but is now living in a nursing home. He hit his head riding without a helmet. It was his first bike and he only had it about 6 months before the accident. I've also had a few close calls where cars pull out in front of me. I try to watch my surroundings as much as possible. I can't allow myself to give up something that I truly enjoy. When I got my first bike I knew right then that it could be something that is dangerous. But I also look back at my life and see that the majority of it was living dangerously. When I ride now it relaxes me I leave all my troubles behind when I am riding. I recently took a trip to Texas from here in Virginia and in the middle of the night with my bike parked by the front door of my daughters house a lady ran her vehicle through the yard and hit my bike and hit my daughters house. She was higher than a kite but the cops didn't do a thing to her either.She didn't even have insurance. Totaled out my bike and caused over 10000 dollars damage to my daughters house. I just thank God that I wasn't on it. But even then I knew that I had to get another bike so I hauled that one back to Va. in back of a truck that I had to rent. Took it to the Harley Dealership to have them give me an estimate for my insurance and it also came out to 10000 dollars of damage. So the insurance company totaled it I knew that I had to get another one and I knew that I had to get it fast. So I purchased my first new Harley and I can't say that Riding is safe but I also can't say that crossing the street is safe. I can't allow fear to control my life. As the saying goes "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" So I keep taking risks and keep on Riding because it is something that I truly enjoy. Just think about it I have 2 daughters and 6 Grandchildren and I love it when I pull up on my motorcycle that they come out running knowing that it's me pulling up.
I am curious, when you have a bike totaled out, can you remove any aftermarket parts that are salvageable? or does the bike become insurance property?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy and am glad to hear your ok. I also have had a couple of spills and some real close calls over the years. The way I see it is like this.

1st, If the man upstairs says it's your time to go theres nothing you can do about it. You could be broad sided while in your 4 wheel ride on your way to work tomorrow ! A buddy of mine died when the chair he was leaning back on went over and he hit his head on the floor. You just never know.

2nd, for me, if I gave up something i love doing I wouldn't enjoy what time I have on this earth. My wife and 5 kids would not like having me around do to being very grumpy.

Bottom line. It's your choice and i'm sure your love ones and friends will support what you choose to do.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!