General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you hit a mailbox. So he caused an accident and left the scene. Sounds like more than failure to yield to me.

Sorry to hear your leaving - good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
hansman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez what a depressing thread........
I figured I had to read the replies since we all know there is only 1 way out. No one really said what I believe is the true problem today is as opposed to 20 years ago. imho people need to put down the cell phones, I pads, laptops, tom toms etc etc and F****n drive. I see so many people completely looking down at who knows what when they need to pay attention to the task at hand: DRIVING

Good luck whatever your decision
Stay safe out there

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I was hit head on by a drunk driver who crossed double yellow back in the mid 1970's. Really freaked me out. Quit riding until 6 years ago. By all means I should have been killed but wasn't. Today I truly believe that our lives are in the hands of our maker. I don't want to die but am not afraid of it.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I was hit head on by a drunk driver who crossed double yellow back in the mid 1970's. Really freaked me out. Quit riding until 6 years ago. By all means I should have been killed but wasn't. Today I truly believe that our lives are in the hands of our maker. I don't want to die but am not afraid of it.
Amen!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I know guys that gave up riding for thier families... can't blame them.. the distractions are many and so are the idiots. Sorry to hear about your friend and prayers out to the family. It is a tough decision to make but maybe the right one for you.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:45 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Six weeks ago a friend of mine was killed when a car turned into him at 40mph. I contiplated selling my bike, asking myself, why couldn't that happen to me? I've been riding 25 years and pride myself on my defensive riding habits and the fact that I've never had any real close calls. He, too, had been riding his whole life. This evening I was traveling home, 50mph on the two-lane road I take all the time. Car opposite direction, signaling left into service station, turns in front of me. Ironically, the same exact scenario that killed my friend. I had this really odd feeling, before it happened, that he was going to do what he did. I veered right and went off the road, through several big pot holes, wacked a mail box, and came to a stop in somebody's front yard. It all happened so fast and all I remembered was thinking, "it's finally happening". I looked back and saw a major cloud of dust. A car stopped, asked if I was OK, and chased the car because it went on through the service station, never stopping. I dialed 911 and when the frick'n idiot cop got there says, "a lot of my friends have been killed on bikes and, even if I caught him, it's only a failure to yield". I told him it was attempted murder. They're checking surveilance cameras, but nothing is probably going to come of it. The good samaritan that chased him, lost him, but came back and made a statement. Anyways, I'm done, had enough, selling the bike. If it can happen to me and my friend, both super experienced riders, it can happen to anyone! How do you prevent this scenario that killed my friend and, if it wasn't for the grace of God, me? What's wrong with people? My headlight and passing lamps are so frick'n bright that my buddies complain when I'm behind them. How could I not be seen? In the cloud of dust, I'm sure he didn't know my outcome, leaving me for dead. I'm so shook up right now, becoming more pi$$ed by the moment. He couldnt have come any closer without hitting me. And I can't even explain how I kept it upright at 50mph through gravel with major potholes off the side of the road and then clipping the mailbox. There's nobody out there that loves to ride more than me, but I'm done! I have four kids at home that begged me to sell after what happened to my friend. What a fool I was. it's just not worth it. A friend of mine once told me, it may not be today, maybe not tommorrow or even next week or year. Maybe not even five or ten years. But eventually it's going to happen and it's not going to be good. I'm convinced he's right. I never thought it would happen to me, but it did, and there was nothing I could do about it. So GoodBye and Farewell my forum friends. I've enjoyed this forum immensely. I don't mean to discourage anyone, but needed to share and bid farewell. I'm going now to hug my kids. I don't feel right signing off by telling you all to ride safe, because I was.
I can relate to everything you say. Basicly the same thing happened to me April 2009, except I went down. Busted up bike, busted up me. Considered the same thing as you. In the end I decided if I was gonna give this thing up it was gonna be because I was tired of it and wanted to and not because some scumbag scared me out of it. I mended and bought a new bike and glad I did. It takes a while to get over the mental part of it and get relaxed again but it will happen. The people making left turns in front of you will make you tighten up for a while but you'll get over it. Bottom line, I respect your decision and wish you the best,

Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said H.O. Jones. We all walk our own paths and no two of us are the same. His call, all the way, and no shame in that either.

Sad to hear you're going MJHJEA but cheers to'ya

Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
black dyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats hit and run even tho he didnt hit you.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
The people making left turns in front of you will make you tighten up for a while but you'll get over it.
I still flinch after six years back in the saddle. Not sure I'll ever totally relax. But maybe that is a good thing. My buddies say it is my survival instinct kicking in when my brain sees a potential repeat.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
ENuf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you brother

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!