General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Run n Gun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,
Sorry to hear about your friend. We all have to decide how we live, because we have little control over how and when we die. Every day is a series of calcualted risks.
I recently returned to motorcycles after a 20 year break. My son is 18, my life insurance is paid up and while I want to be around for many years to come, let each day be part of lived to the fullest.
Best of luck to each of us..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 547 Posts

I can respect your decision. I was similar and did not ride until my daughter graduated from high school. Wife and I decided there was no need to add risk and she needed both parents until grown. I don't regret it. I have enjoyed many years of riding since then and have had some close calls also. I try to mitigate the risk by avoiding congested areas and doing most of my riding in the country on 2 lanes but there is still risk. I don't believe in the argument that when its your time its your time. Life is a series of decisions and those decisions have consequences (& risk). If I choose to use meth I choose a path of destruction...you get my point.

Anyway, its all good. Perhaps you will find something else that is a little more 'family oriented' to fill the void. Perhaps boating...

Last edited by stratplexi; 07-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guys gotta do what a g... ..... ..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Eagle101
Novice

I quit riding for twenty years after a close call where I was stopped to make a left turn and I could see the woman coming up behind me yakking to her friend in the passenger seat.

When I saw she wasn't going to stop, I made a snap judgement on the speed of the oncoming, grabbed a handful of throttle, dumped the clutch and leaned her over, She saw me just as I did and locked her brakes, sliding right through the spot where I had been.

I kept the bike for another year and put a whole 75 miles on it before someone came along that wanted it more than I did. I didn't sit one again until I bought my 1200 C in '04.

Guess I want to say, I understand the feeling.

If you want to ride again, you will.

If not, you had a good run.

Regards.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have said, sorry about your friend. But....everyone has known of somebody; friend, relative, aquaintance that has died in an auto crash...yet most people keep driving.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Sorry about your friend, and your close call. I think you've made the correct choice ! Once you loose your confidence, it's time to quit !!!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,744 Likes on 980 Posts

I will not say Good by because I know
You will be back. Biking is like a virus
onced it gets into your system, you might
get into remishion but you have it, Till You Die.
So therefore I bid You "catch you later our friend".

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pjmoraldo
Plenty of people get killed in car accidents every single day! What are you gonna walk now! I don't mean to sound rash but I believe when the Big Guy pulls your card then its time to go and it doesn't matter what your doing riding or flying! Just my 2 cents
Wife and I got wrecked on a hiway by a car in 06....people asked if i would still ride...asked them if they ever had a accident in a car....they say yes.....so i ask them if they still drive their car....%hit happens......but if your situation put the fear of god in you....probably best to pack it in.
Sorry about your friend...and i hope his family are getting thru the tough time....

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM
CaptJohnny
Advanced

Originally Posted by TFTCAR
To the OP and all the bleeding hearts here I'm not buying it. Everyday we wake up we risk dying. Do we stop flying, Do we stop eating red meat. Give me a break, I should be so lucky to die doing something I love. Imagine those who jumped off the World Trade Center on 911, All they did was go to work. There is something real sad if you base your life on the way you are going to DIE.
I was there that morning and saw and heard **** you never, ever, forget. Lost dear friends and co-workers. F&^K YOU Bin Obama or whatever the F*&K your name is now. I live the ***** off life, wasn't doing too bad at it before, but I LIVE IT now. I would never **** on someones decision to stop riding, I have just begun, we are just at different stages in life. I take my boat 100+ miles offshore to catch Tuna and can easily die doing that, people ask me if I get scared - answer is - I have never felt more free. They just won't ever understand. I've never had any of my relatives that passed come back for another try at life. I am making this one count. God bless

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Wookalar
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SniperCJ
Two things:

The 'frickin idiot cop' was correct. Its failure to yield right of way. Definately NOT attempted murder. Dont take it out on the cop because somebody turns in front of you.

And you managed to keep it upright BECAUSE youve been riding 25 years. Nice job.

I agree!

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!