General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry about your friend. We've all seen many pass before their do times at least in our eyes. Some don't fly for fear of the plane crashing. Some don't go white water rafting or in water at all for fear of drowning. We all know that life is fragile. We also all don't know when your last living day is so in saying that why waste your life worrying about the *WHAT IFS* in our lives.

When i bought my Harley i told the wife this. I have the money and i don't want to feel like i missed out on anything in life. I'm gonna ride until i can't for physical reasons not ride ever again. When i get in my Jeep i say to myself "How boring". Sure when we ride its a risk but enjoying live and love is a risk.

I refuse to not live my life. I refuse to live my life in fear. I refuse to not do in life what i'm able to. Do you think those who we've lost tragically would want us to stop doing what we love to do in life. Like the one gentleman stated. When your number is up its up. Raise hell until that day may come.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
why are people so afraid of dying? billions upon billions have done it and they ain't complaining. seriously get good life insurance and ride on. we all die you may be quitting riding with an inoperable tumor in your brain that'll kill you in 6 months.
My thoughts as well. My wife is against it, but I want a tattoo that reads "Death is in my future"

The OP's statement "it's just not worth it." summed it up for him. I believe if it's not worth it, stop riding. For me, it's worth it.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. These things happen in a flash and it's over. Many times it's not the rider's fault at all, he/she is a victim of stupidity of the other driver.

I've been in two crashes. Neither were my fault at all. The first time I was taken out by a highspeed car on the freeway that rear-ended me at 85-90 mph according to the witness. I never saw it coming. It was 1:00 am and not a car on the road at the time. This one came out of nowhere like a bat out of hell and ripped my left saddle bag and exhaust off. I fell free off the back of the bike and landed on the back of my head. The helmet saved my life. The car whizzed by my left by inches and made no contact with me thank God. I slid for 100' or so on the pavement (leather is your friend here!) and then got up and walked away with just some minor road rash.

Last fall I got taken out by a car that made a left turn in front of me at the last second. I was knocked out cold for 20-30 minutes. My first memory of the crash is waking up to helicopter blades spinning above me. Had a concussion and some road rash. Helmet again saved my life.

I know it's sobering to have these things happen. It makes you think for sure. It's something you have to decide for yourself. You've had a long "career" in the saddle, so if you retire now I'm sure you've got a million fond memories to fall back on. Maybe some day you'll get back in the saddle again.

I know for me it's in my blood as it is for you I'm sure. It would be one of the hardest things to do if I had to give up riding.

Last edited by Arizona; 07-21-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. I respect your decision. You gotta read the writin on the wall sometimes. besides, your kids are way more important than ANY Harley ridin.....I always said that the Angel Of death isnt some horned red demon but rather a blue haired old lady wearing a Boca Raton Bingo Club ball cap....Be safe and happy.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

Its a tough call but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Didn't read all the pages so someone may have already said it.... I look at it as, When your tickets up thats it.
You could be pushing a mower and have it all end. Some good friends lost there daughter in the HS parking lot after school was let out. Her car was hit, a piece of glass slashed her carotid artery, and that was it. Ya just never know.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Robcat
Cruiser

My condolences for your friend.

Credit your riding experience for your own escape. I don't know about anyone else in these posts, but I just assume everyone on the road WILL turn in front of me and change lanes into me, etc... Hell, if someone is coming down the road with their signal light on, that is a great bonus because they are essentially warning you that they are turning in front/into you. Riding is a blast, but you do have to remain focused pretty much at all times. If it doesn't make you happy anymore, sure isnt any sense in doing it.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

D-Oh...Sorry about your friend and misfortune. I will never back down on my riding part. Rather die doing what I love doing...That is riding my Harley.

Thorey

Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
man what a depressing article sounds like 90percent of us are going to die, are you giving up driving your car because a dumb trucker will not yield, sorry for your friend, i`ve been riding 40 yrs and know hundreds of riders none have been killer or even bent a toe good luck and don`t walk under any ladders
Actually, last I checked, 100% of us will die.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about the loss of your friend. I too lost a good friend in a bike wreck back in May of 2004 and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him and what happend. I have thought about selling the bikes as well-some times I feel they are not worth all the money I have to put in them and the risk, but then I see them, hear them and ride them and it all goes away. I rode to work today-something I never do since I have to drop the bike at the dealer right down the road from work and I have to say I was in one great mood when I got here. Do what is best for you and the fam. Take care and God bless.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM
bayoun1
Intermediate

What a tragedy. You have my condolences for the loss of your friend. My wife and I have two other couples that we have traveled with for many (20+) years. The other couples were great people, however, when we were together they never failed to discuss the morbid side of biking and how risky it is. Well as you might have guessed, the husband of one of the couples just passed away of cancer after just six months from the initial finding. He was the picture of health just six months ago. He was only 65 years old. You have to find out what is important to YOU and pursue it. We are all moving towards the final chapter of our lives. The size of the book is not as important as the story it tells. I hope you find other enrichments in life to replace your love of biking. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!