General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI Topeka
It IS only failure to yield.
, yeah thats all it is
attempted murder good grief! get over yourself,bike riding is dangerous, but people dont deliberately get bikers to stove the sides of there cars in,i nearly hit a cyclist the other week,i just stopped short was only going slow! i just didnt see him!
people die in car accidents to you no!! so do pedestrians!!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 341 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SniperCJ
Two things:

The 'frickin idiot cop' was correct. Its failure to yield right of way. Definately NOT attempted murder. Dont take it out on the cop because somebody turns in front of you.

And you managed to keep it upright BECAUSE youve been riding 25 years. Nice job.

I stopped scuba diving years ago because I was no longer comfortable in the environmemt. If I'm ever uncomfortable in the air, I'll stop skydiving. Same with the bike I guess, but I'm not even close to that.

As the man said in Tombstone...Well...bye...
Throw me in the water with tank on any day before you push me out of a perfectly good airplane!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done both skydiving and SCUBA diving. I can think of no reason to give up on a perfectly good airplane in flight and jump out anymore! I'll stick with her until there's no fight left in her ;-) I do enjoy the beauty of the ocean though. I hope my Gulf comes back soon. There's some really neat wrecks and reefs to dive out there.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, I totally understand your position and decision. I have often thought about the same dilemma and have considered giving up riding as well. I just wish that there was something that we could do about some of the morons we share the road with rather than just talking about it. Some people should not be allowed out of the house, let alone given a driving license.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

Originally Posted by OU812
Wait 1 year before you sell your bike. If you been riding for 25 years you will not give up riding that easy

I also agree with this post . Time has a way of healing and changing things , you might miss your bike in a few months . Also the economy sucks right now . Waiting for a year might get you more money for your bike if you still want to sell it by then . Whatever you finally decide is of corse YOUR decision and only you can make it .

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

I respect your decision. I made it through a similar accident about 24 years ago. I kept riding for a while, then when my son was born, I sold my bike and decided that I needed to do what I could to lessen the possibility of leaving him without a father. My daughter came along a few years later and upped the ante. I always had the itch to ride, and when my daughter turned 15 I bought a new bike. I have been riding again for 3 1/2 years, been in one wreck and have not thoughts of giving it up. Both of my kids are grown, my wife is capable of taking care of herself, and I have very large life insurance policies that will take care of their financials if something does happen to me. I am under no illusion that my wife would not be able to find a suitable replacement. I hope to think that all of them would miss me, but also know that they would get along just fine.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Desoto
Cruiser

Couples years ago one of my two best buddys died on the road. In a right hand curve, he layed is bike down and when he crossed the double yellow line, he got hit by a car comming the other way. he died on his way to the hospital. Nobody knows for sure why he dropped his bike. It affected me hard. Happened on August 28th. Two weeks later, September 14th, My other friend was going to work with is trailer behind him and the sun at his back. A guy in a pick-up on a side road was waiting for a chance to get on the main road. He let two cars pass and because of the sun in his face, didn't see the bike and decided to take a chance. Well my friend t-boned the pick-up killing him instantly. Now I was really freaking out. Next summer I had a very close call myself. I decided not to stop riding because thats the only way I feel really free and I had the best of time riding with my friends.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. Been through lots like this, and have faced similar questions.

Back in 2000, while I was teaching college, the security guard comes to the door, and tells me my wife is coming to get me with a friend. I knew right away what that was about. Passer-by up north had found my Dad in the middle of a low-travelled popular motorcycling road, dead. Wrecked bike at the side of the road. No details, nothing.

2004, riding with my club, my best friend and I are going up Elephant Lake Road in Maynooth. Coming up to a stop sign, he low-sides in gravel, hits the guardrail. Dead. I did CPR on him for 20 minutes waiting for an ambulance. All for nothing. Now I look after his family as well as my own.

Both guys wearing full armour, full-face helmets. Game over.

I've been hit, too. Seen plenty of injustice at the hands of the law.

Back in April got some really, really lousy news from the doctor. Now I take every day and live it the best I can. It could be game over at any time. Lots of people asked me if I was going to ride again after all this. I figure when my number's up, my number's up.

Cannon

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like this my sister's boy was hit by a car on the way home from school. Should he stop going to school because there is a road to cross. Some people don't ride that much and have bad riding skills anyway. Some people should stop riding if that's there real problem. But I been hit many times and still ride. I do know friends at have die for many different things. Should I stop doing what like because other people have had problems. I had a friend die from changing a light bulb. So I should not ever change any light bulbs for the fear of dieing.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
lambchopp
Cruiser

sorry about your buddy..your alive to tell the tail which is good...God has something planned for you,friend. I hope when it is my time to go it won't hurt too bad. I think u will miss riding but we'll all respect your choice. I think God was with you that day. hope ur bike wasn't too messed up.

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!