General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
IrishHarleymin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OU812
Wait 1 year before you sell your bike. If you been riding for 25 years you will not give up riding that easy.
I 2nd this post.

Sounds like you made up your mind and considering the chances getting hurt on a bike, it is probably a good decision. But I can add I had the same feeling. I sold my bike for a few reasons and one being that I have kids and they really love me, I would hate to leave them for a bike accident. But 2 days later after I sold it, hearing Harley's rumbling buy me every 5 minutes drove me nuts, I could not take it anymore and bought a new bike. I really tried to quit, but I just cannot..This is not a joke..

Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime something like this happens, I tell myself statistically per capita there are still a lot more car accidents than bike accidents, and it's just as easy to be a safe driver and get in a fatal crash but we don't all stop driving cars.

Sure being on the bike is more exposed and there's a higher risk for serious injury if something does happen, but you are more likely do die in a car crash than you are on a bike.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to see you go but in the condition your mind is in, you're better of not riding anyway. A scared rider can't enjoy the ride and is a danger to everyone else. I wish you the best in the future in whatever you decide to do

Bub

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Avalanche123
Cruiser

Sounds like you decided on what works for you. Good for you and best of luck. Sometimes you just know that it is time to fold em'

My riding career isn't even a week old yet. Despite being 47 and a long history of driving (cars and trucks) there is no comparison to riding a bike as your exposure is so much higher. The transition from "hero to zero" can happen in seconds....

Thanks for your post. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I read your post, didnt read any others, so what i say is not influenced in any way..

There are times in life where we have to make decisions and place others ahead of ourselves, even if it is just for a short time or permanently. You have placed your family ahead of the risks, this is what being a responsible parent and husband is, they depend on you being there and you have made a decision to increase the odds that you are there. There is nothing to be sorry about. Go raise and care for your family, make them happy and teach your children to be responible adults.

Very well put

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

To the OP and all the bleeding hearts here I'm not buying it. Everyday we wake up we risk dying. Do we stop flying, Do we stop eating red meat. Give me a break, I should be so lucky to die doing something I love. Imagine those who jumped off the World Trade Center on 911, All they did was go to work. There is something real sad if you base your life on the way you are going to DIE.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
bradrosewood
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Len
My best friend, a Nurse, Gambler, Psychologist - survived two tours in Viet Nam; loved his life; loved talking about his Viet Nam exploits; loved to gamble; he died a couple of years ago at 54 of a heart attack.

A fellow classmate of mine died in Israel - his Army tank was blown up (he was doing what he loved!)

My Dad, salesman extraordinairre; loved to tell jokes; loved his family; loved his job! He died of a heart attack at 49.

My Cousin, lawyer and judge; loved Tennis; loved the legal profession; loved his neices and nephews; always had a smile on his face!
Died of cancer at 54.

My Hero Son, 4 combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan - still with us! (THANK GOD); He loves being a MARINE! OOH RAH!

Me, been on a bike since I was 19 - I'll be 60 this year.

My point is, "LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE, LIFE!" You don't know what life has in store for you!

God has a plan (IMO); enjoy your time doing whatever it is you love to do!
Dang Len that was pretty deep, well done. Son sounds like a stud. Tell him I am proud of him.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
ga guy
Cruiser

color of your bike, jacket?
Did you have loud pipes?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Poisond 08 Fatbob
Tourer

Friend of mine had a passion for VW's. He bought a 73 like his dad owned. Loved the car and only drove it to car shows and to work on friday if it was sunny. He was diagnosed with cancer and died within a few years. He told me at his benefit we had for him, "I wish I would have drivin it a lot more then I did. It's not a bike but the principal is the same. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I have the utmost respect for you and the decision you make for yourself.
Ride safe, wether it be a bike, car or truck!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

A lot of people on the road think biker's are annoying, or just don't understand the concept of the motorcycle. It's like when a person pulls in front of a diesel and the light turns red and they slam on their brakes. Do they not understand that semi isn't going to stop on a dime like your little rice rocket? People are stupid...uneducated, and careless. Riding a motorcycle makes a person invisible and honestly no one on the road cares about anyone except themselves because this country has become so fast paced and hateful.

I had a lady cut me off because she was going to miss her exit. She came about 4 feet from running me into the barricade and I slammed on the brakes (not sure why they didn't lock up) and got behind her then laid on it and got next her and screamed every cuss word I could, my husband did this as well...I think she got a little scared and thought we were gonna beat her ***.

Motorcycles are a risk, trust me there are times I think I shouldn't be riding. The worst thing in the world for me would to be killed on my bike. I couldn't leave my family and young daughter right now.

If you have had these incident's and think it's best to part with your bike I commend you. You're family need's you more than you need a motorcycle. If you are ok dying on your bike then fine but if you want to live without the chances of being hit by an idiot then a motorcycle is not worth keeping.

Good luck, and good choice!

Quick Reply: Good Bye Fellas, I'm done!