General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust screw-up help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010 | 03:36 PM
Chicagosong
|
Advanced
Default Exhaust screw-up help

While installing the new pipes, specifically tightening the nut back onto the exhaust stud at the rear cylinder the nut got stuck to the stud and the stud began turning with it wouldnt come loose. The the lower rear stud came right out so I replaced it with a bolt, and not a full threaded one. The upper rear bolt also got stuck and I think the stud ended up further into the head than it is supposed to be. I'm tempted to take it in to the dealer and have them re-install the studs as I don't like messing around with anything going into the headers myself. I'm just not that comfortable and haven't worked on a bike before. Followed the svc manual and everything darn it. Any suggestions for a quicker fix? Start over? Front cylinder install was fine.

Old 07-19-2010 | 04:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 07-19-2010 | 04:32 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer

It really is no big deal. The stud that went in further is ok. If there was no space it wouldn't of gone in.

The one that is out.... Put anyhow nut on it.... Lock it tight up against the first.... Put some lock tight on the stud and put it back in.

You can take the other nut off in couple of days. You can do the same to the other stud.

No need to Greek. Happens all the time.

Old 07-19-2010 | 04:34 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Replaced a stud with a bolt?. Sounds like you probably should take it to a dealer.

Old 07-19-2010 | 04:46 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Replaced a stud with a bolt?. Sounds like you probably should take it to a dealer.
If he put a bolt in the jug instead of a stud, how could he slide the flange of the header pipe over the head of the bolt?

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:30 PM
Chicagosong
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
If he put a bolt in the jug instead of a stud, how could he slide the flange of the header pipe over the head of the bolt?
it's amazing what powers stupidity gives me. Nah, honestly, I should've been more prepared. Just wanting to know if I can do it right myself. Anything special I need to know about replacing the stud correctly that anyone cares to share, other details?

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:47 PM
midnight2005
Banned

to remove a stud, just screw one nut on and screw another nut against it, use 2 wrenches to tighten the two nuts against each other. now use a wrench to twist on the nut closest to the head and unscrew the stud. installation is the same, just use loc tite (red) tighten pretty snug but not super tight. this is simple given a 4 on scale of 1 to 10

Old 07-19-2010 | 08:22 PM
Chicagosong
|
Advanced

Well, I'm just praying I didn't strip threads in the header. Thanks for the suggestions. Uggh.

Old 07-19-2010 | 09:07 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JoeFLSTC

No need to Greek. Happens all the time.

No need to Greek? Never heard that before. Where does that mean?

Old 07-19-2010 | 09:47 PM
Chicagosong
|
Advanced

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Quick Reply: Exhaust screw-up help