Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet kills my neck on Interstate

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Helmet kills my neck on Interstate

Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone else had neck pain after riding with a helmet on the highway or interstate around 70mph+

I have a half helmet and that thing just kills my neck if I dont have it strapped down tight as hell on my head and even then I have to angle my head down. I think it might possibly be the sun visor I have on the helmet Ive never tried it with the visor off but I just thought about it earlier. My dad sometimes wears a half helmet with no visor and he says it doesnt hurt at all. Any ideas?

PS. Navy requires me to wear a helmet at all times and besides I like my noggin in one piece so I usually have it on.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your OP didn't mention whether you have a full or partial windscreen or no windscreeen at all. The visor on the 1/2 shell helmet (which I wear) isn't very big but can catch the wind and pull your head backwards. This forces you to tuck your chin down a bit which is probably very unconfortable and fatiguing over a long period of riding.

Not sure there's much you can do about this situation. Assuming your helmet is properly sized and worn correctly, the "blow back" on the visor from the wind is just something you'll have to get accustomed to. Your neck muscles should strengthen over a very short period of time and you should notice that the associated fatigue also goes away.

HTH.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wear a full face and no, I never have that problem.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay off the interstate. Speed kills.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always thought helmets were a huge pain in the neck.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Lol I'd rather be on the interstate than the crappy traffic anywhere else here in Jax. My dad has a street glide with the low fairing but it is a fairing so that does make sense that it would cut down on wind. My bike has no windscreen at all.

My helmet fits very well and can hardly be moved on my head when I have it strapped on decently. I had a full face before with my metric bike and the wind wasnt an issue with that. Full face is a medium 1/2 helmet is a small I believe.

And ive put about 1300 miles on my bike a lot of it has been interstate and while my arms and shoulders got used to the 'fist in the wind' profile my neck still kills me after some rides. Im going to try to take the sun visor part off since I wear shades regardless and see if that helps me out at all.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
dh2683
Supporter

Had a HJC half helmet that weighed 2.5 lbs with a snap on visor that stuck out maybe 2.5 - 3". Killed my neck on long rides. Went to a light weight hybrid HD helmet with a 3/4" mini visor & a helmet weight of 1.6lbs.and NO MORE PAIN.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
bigdaddy200
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear an Outlaw brand half helmet with visor - I get the same thing. The helmet gets pulled back by the wind and puts some strain on my neck at highway speed...not so much slippage that I need to adjust the positon of the helmet, but enough to pull my neck back. It helps a lot to really cinch up the strap - also helps some if I wear a headwrap...but my helmet is just a hair too big. I've been meaning to remove the visor and try it that way, but so far have skipped that test.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yea sometimes

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Denny69
Road Captain

The only way I could ride after a neck injury and 2 surguries was to use a ff helmet and windshield. This was in the late 90's. Novelty helmet caused me pain. ff I guess proved more aerodynamic. That and the windshield helped keep me on the rode.

Quick Reply: Helmet kills my neck on Interstate