General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet kills my neck on Interstate

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:33 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser

Removing the visor seemed to help me.

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:34 PM
du510
Tourer

I have the same issue when wearing a half helmet; with a FF, it is no issue.

I am wanting to try a Bell500 to see how that treats me.

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:46 PM
qwest
Cruiser

I have a Shoei half helmet with visor - it fits pretty snug. I look over my windscreen by about 3".

I have to cinch the helmet down pretty tight over 70mph or it might move with a gust of wind or a passing truck.

I just finished a 3,500 mile ride over the past 10 days. Most of me is sore to varying degrees! However, my neck is fine.

Are you a newer rider? Do you get tense in freeway traffic?

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:53 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

I've ridden the interstate a couple times without my windshield, and it's freakin' unbearable just to hang on. Way too fatigue-ing.....

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:54 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

I've been running a 19" sport windshiled on my last 2 FXST's since 1988 and haven't had a neck acke since. If you don't think there's a big diff between a windshiled-less ride and one with, take a bike out with one on the highway, then stick you head outside the windshiled you'll feel the diff. Certainly not all my riding is highway, but even on secondary roads your hitting 60-70 mi per our regularly, so I leave it on all the time. You could always go snap on/off one if you want too.

Old 07-18-2010 | 08:57 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Lol I'd rather be on the interstate than the crappy traffic anywhere else here in Jax. My dad has a street glide with the low fairing but it is a fairing so that does make sense that it would cut down on wind. My bike has no windscreen at all.

My helmet fits very well and can hardly be moved on my head when I have it strapped on decently. I had a full face before with my metric bike and the wind wasnt an issue with that. Full face is a medium 1/2 helmet is a small I believe.

And ive put about 1300 miles on my bike a lot of it has been interstate and while my arms and shoulders got used to the 'fist in the wind' profile my neck still kills me after some rides. Im going to try to take the sun visor part off since I wear shades regardless and see if that helps me out at all.
Lose the visor. Like some others have said it will probably help. And, you might try a Bell Drifter 1/2 helmet. It's the lightest name brand DOT 1/2 helmet I've found. The Drifter is sized just a RCH on the small side. I wear a medium, and their medium fit me snug.

Here's where I got mine on 'closeout.'

http://www.extremesupply.com/bellhel...etsdrifter.htm

Old 07-18-2010 | 09:35 PM
Kadorja
|
Road Captain

It was definitely the visor. I cant believe how much that thing pulled on my helmet.

I cranked it up to 70 going to my buddies house and it didnt pull at all. Im usually pretty laid back on the interstate (I usually catch myself riding with one hand). Only reason I kept the visor on in the first place was because the screw holes cant really be covered up with the visor off and I thought it was actually designed to be aerodynamic... hah fooled me right.

And I know a windscreen helps big time. My metric had one on for a little while but I just dont like the look. I can take the wind and rain on my chest and shoulders but the neck was sore as hell before. I think now im gonna cruise at 80 and be content.... well maybe 85 it is Florida.

Old 07-19-2010 | 06:57 AM
du510
Tourer

I took the sun-visor off mine and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. FWIW though, I do wear a small, so I figure ratio of "exposed helmet underside" to total weight is pretty high, and that is what I attribute the "kite in the wind" feeling to.

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:14 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

Rule Number one: Ride more and the muscles will develop so it is not an issue. (seat time)
Rule Number two: Do Neck Bridges like wrestlers or football palyers to develop the muscles so they do not get sore.

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:18 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone else had neck pain after riding with a helmet on the highway or interstate around 70mph+

I have a half helmet and that thing just kills my neck if I dont have it strapped down tight as hell on my head and even then I have to angle my head down. I think it might possibly be the sun visor I have on the helmet Ive never tried it with the visor off but I just thought about it earlier. My dad sometimes wears a half helmet with no visor and he says it doesnt hurt at all. Any ideas?

PS. Navy requires me to wear a helmet at all times and besides I like my noggin in one piece so I usually have it on.
Full-face takes from the coolness points, but saves a lot more than the neck... i always have a full-face and i can ride 900 miles in a day very comfortably.

Quick Reply: Helmet kills my neck on Interstate