General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...

Just got back from a Brand X motorcycle dealer where several friends work, along with the owner being a friend. (All dirt bike related friendships.) My long time friend that works there is the Service Manager. As I was talking with him about my Deuce, he mentioned that over the past few days/weeks he had some phone calls from HD Mechanics from one of the regional HD dealers. Seems they're fearing for their financial lives and looking for a place to land. The concern by said HD mechanics is that the regional HD dealer in question may be in dire straits and may be folding before long. Hate that for them, some of the folks there seem to be decent folks. However, frankly, they shouldn't have built such a huge mosoleum that surely must cost huge bucks for monthly payments. Their overhead must be ridiculous.

Also had a very interesting conversation with the owner. He indicates that the Brand X parent company they are dealers for has released some interesting demographics that may surprise you. According to their research, the sport bike market is going to be in decline (perhaps severely) for the next TEN years. Apparently, the US market is seeing a startling uprise in middle-aged bankruptcy filings, thus the 20 and 30-something "boomerang" kids that live off their folks and buy their toys can no longer obtain them due to no counter-signature by the supporting middle-agers. It is widespread enough that sales are noticably suffering. Hard to believe that we have such a huge number of such "boomerang" kids, but it is very, very real.

Now, what does all this mean?

Lots of things, I guess.

1. As mentioned many times: The HD and cruiser-bike FAD is over.

2. The US economy is worse than many think.

3. Very few of the upcoming generation have a clue as to how to work your butt off and become independant of your parents. Or, they do, and just not willing to do so because its easier to leach off the parents.

What does all this mean to us (as HD riders)?

Doesn't change a thing for me. I know I'll be riding for as long as I'm able to, physically and financially. Also, I'm not one that is given to regular weekend visits to the HD shop. Plus, I seldom buy new (vehicles) anyway... so it actually HELPS me if/when I seriously look at purchasing another HD.

Further, I didn't enter this during the "Fad" years (they were dying)... and having a long history in dirt bikes, figured riding a cruiser-type bike (in my case a Deuce) was going to be a dependable interest, given my overall enjoyment of riding. (I was partially correct: Should have purchased a touring bike in consideration for wife's comfort also.)

Must really suck to be into cruiser bikes strictly for the "status and style" thing.

How 'bout you? Are you seeing the effects of "the party's over" (HD fad/cruiser bike) reality where you live?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The party's been over for a couple years now. But it's not just a harley thing. It's any unnecessary toy thing. Just look how many lifted trucks have disappeared from the roads. People are struggling to just pay their bills so the extras aren't so easy to come by.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the UK bike sales are down, but certain brands are still doing well. Triumph has bucked the trend (mainly in naked street and sports tourers) and Harley are doing OK with some finnacial incentives. Victory is making progress from a low baseline but the real sufferers are the Japanese, down by 40% on some models.

The 'Baby Boomers' as they are called over here are now in their sixties and getting strapped for cash, but the youngsters are really feeling the pinch, hence the drop-off in sports bikes.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't seem to be any shortage of bikes here in Los Angeles. If you go to a biker bar on the weekends, there isn't anywhere to park if you get there after 10 AM. The Love Ride this year has limited it to 1000 bikes. They say they can't handle 150,000 bikers who would normally register, pay and ride. Guess those who are working are still buying, at least here in the west.......

Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

This has been a long needed reality check, A lot of people living way beyond their means.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

The local HD 'boutique', here in Doo Dah, has had the same 'used' inventory for almost two years now. Used to be a crowd there all the time, not so much now. Employees seem 'disgruntled' as a rule and service department personel don't even pretend to give a damm anymore. I'd say the writing is on the wall. Upside is used bikes are getting cheaper every time I look in the Wants. LAMing, + 1 on the Deuce and the wifes comfort. LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM
apethtel
Intermediate

I agree, I bought my first bike new in 2007 and worked hard to make the payments and pay it off in 18 months. I must be one of the "few" that you are talking about as I just turned 30 last week. I think the guys who do ride for status will be fewer and fewer over the next couple of years.

My dad rides and has ridden for along time. Maybe he raised me well enough to know that hard work pays off in the end.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup things are really fugged up , the new bikes for sale way out numbered the customers

today at the local Hd Dealer , pretty damn quiet there , normally it'd be really humming on a Sat.

Jobs are scarce and pay is reduced with UE around 15% here ( was 21%).

Short sales and foreclosures are increasing around here and I'm starting to see it on more higher end homes.

I have a son that just got a EE degree and can't find work other than non related minimum wage crap , told him he may as well go back to school.

We could very well be in for a double dip , sure as H... hope not.

Other than that my buddy and I had a nice back road ride to the dealership today.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a cycle. Look at history of the last 100+ years of HD production. The size of the dealership isn't the problem. It was the lack of looking to the future and keeping cost down. Come late into the last boom and overspend--have nothing left to go through the fall. Times are lean--get lean but buy at good prices. Times are fat sell fat but save for lean.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:51 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been reading about the effects of market saturation as well. I'm sure it can be thrown into the equation.

You're right though, members of the younger generation not only were born at a very inopportune time in our society, I think they were handed a greater challenge in these economic times. Life-styles, peer pressure and keeping up with the Jones make it more difficult to get by. As stated, there are probably more younger folks living off of their folks. I know that's true around the town I live in. Teen pregnancies, high school drop-outs, illiteracy and drugs are taking command.

Quick Reply: It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...