General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all cyclical.......................................... .............motorcyclical!

It's tough now, (the influencial clever bastards won't loose of course but the rest of us will suffer and the weakest will go to the wall whether they're in the West or in the sweatshops of the East)...........but it'll get better, we'll all forget it ever happened, and 8 years later it'll happen all over again.

Just the cyclical evidence that capitalism doesn't work consistently and needs this shake-out on a regular basis to transfer the losses to the poor...........but it's always been one a hell of ride...

Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't really pay attention to fads, or whatever anyone else is doing. I just do my thing and don't worry much about anyone else.

As for the sport bike market being down for the next 10 years... I've talked to more than a few people who live in the financial/investment world, who feel we are just at the beginning of a *major* depression which will last a total of 10-15 years. These are guys who tend to generally be optimistic and know how to make money in even the worst markets. It has me more than a bit concerned when these guys are saying stuff like that.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I checked the want ads again last night because I have money for a new (to me) bike. Didn't see anything I considered a panic price, although there do seem to be some good values out there. There is a lot of uncertainty in society today, even if your income has not been negatively effected by the recession. People are holding on to money, people that didn't prepare well for the "rainy day" are scrambling to get by. Sad for all of us, but far from the end of the line for bike riding. It really wouldn't crush my spirits however if Sturgis went back to it's 1982 size.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by High Gear
Yup things are really fugged up , the new bikes for sale way out numbered the customers

today at the local Hd Dealer , pretty damn quiet there , normally it'd be really humming on a Sat.

Jobs are scarce and pay is reduced with UE around 15% here ( was 21%).

Short sales and foreclosures are increasing around here and I'm starting to see it on more higher end homes.

I have a son that just got a EE degree and can't find work other than non related minimum wage crap , told him he may as well go back to school.

We could very well be in for a double dip , sure as H... hope not.

Other than that my buddy and I had a nice back road ride to the dealership today.
If your son has a background in RF he might want to look at Kenwood in Atlanta. It's living out of a suitcase, but the pay should be good.

Good luck!