General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default unnecessary toy thing

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
The party's been over for a couple years now. But it's not just a harley thing. It's any unnecessary toy thing. Just look how many lifted trucks have disappeared from the roads. People are struggling to just pay their bills so the extras aren't so easy to come by.
Have to agree with you; it's an unnecessary toy thing. Boat business is the same way. The frills are first to go. And a dwindling work force is expected to pay more taxes to cover the uncontrolled government spending.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't tell you if the party is over because no one ever invited me to it. I can tell you that those who ride because they enjoy riding will continue to do so. It's sort of like the gym after new year when all the "Resolutions" show up. By March most are gone and I'm back to seeing the same faces I saw before.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apethtel:

Good for you. You're a rare breed among today's upcoming income "earners"!

Paniolo: Good analogy!

For many of us, riding is a given. How we enjoy the riding may evolve (for example, I never thought I would also enjoy road riding), but if you love to ride... fads really don't mean much.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:33 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I was here long before "the fad". I was here during "the fad". I'm STILL here after "the fad".................As far as sales of motorcycles go, my local dealer is doing very well, far better than most I would guess. This little area around Fort Hood (GO ARMY) has weatherd this Recession far better than the rest of the country, but it can't hold up forever. Things need to get much better, nation wide, soon or I fear we will be in the same shape as the rest of the country, if not worse.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

If you think this "recovery" is something to hang your hat on, I would suggest you think again. After the first of the year I would look for things to go south pretty soon. We are raising taxes, we are returning the inheritance tax, we are doing the same things today that led to the serious financial issues we had in the 70's. Also, this housing boom and bust was created by the rapid over-expansion of the CRA ( community re-investment act ) that lowered the qualifications to buy a house so low it forced banks to make loans to people who could never repay them. There are many houses in foreclosure in Minneapolis ( for example ) that were sold for $200,000 and were issued 125% loans of $250,000 with nothing down that people pocketed $50,000 and then walked away from a year later after trashing the place and living for free. Now they changed wall street regulation and blame the banks!!! The stupid people who caused this issue are now "fixing" it. Get ready for credit of all kinds to dry up and get much harder to get. I really think we are in for some rough times ahead. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a truck driver. Noname

Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridin' before and after the "fad"...pay cash for mine so no worries. The DC, NoVa and suburban Md. metro area is basically a strong job market and recovering from the recession nicely.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

It's the economy, stupid. Nothing personal.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to the "wanna be" bike fad being over, it's not the economy, stupid. Nothing personal.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

I don't do fads. The economy dictates. Bikes of all flavors are considered recreational vehicles and that market tanks with the rest of the market. The beer market thrives as many of you know.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If everyone rode their bikes instead of driving cages they would be saving some money. Of course that just my .002

Quick Reply: It Was The Best Of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times...