General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why i wear a FF helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

OK, let those ride decide is fine and well. But, you need to realize that it's OK for those that ride to decide to wear one. Same as it's OK for those that ride to decide not to. It's OK for someone to tell a tale of why they do something. Noname

Old 07-17-2010, 02:43 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If ya ever get a Bee inside your FF helment ya will think, and say,... OH CHIT!!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
jeffc68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never ran into a a bunch of bees but I did run through a wall of flys that were all over a dead animal in the road. My helmet was covered

Wear what you want it is all good.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:21 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
If ya ever get a Bee inside your FF helment ya will think, and say,... OH CHIT!!
Had a bee fly in my FF years ago. Don't know what I was thinking, but by reflex I pulled the helmet off using both hands and then realized I had let go of the bars. I was lucky that I kept going straight, and so did the road. Same thing happened to me in the car once, bee flew in the open drivers window, I was about 17 y/o at the time, threw the car in park and started to get out, problem was I was in a parking lot going about 10mph at the time. Glad nobody I knew saw that happen, probably would have grown up with some awful nickname.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:11 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the "moral" of this thread is to remind us all to be careful. Bee very careful.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you wake up every day and say "I better wear this FF helmet because I might ride through a swarm of bees"?

I love how any time any thread has anything about helmets people come out of the woodwork with a boatload of shoulda coulda woulda.

If you get killed or die riding sure it will be sad but that is a choice you make every time you get on a bike and the only thing a helmet will do is change the tag line of the story.

I honestly believe some people wear a helmet just to tell everybody that they wear a helmet, I say to them good job! Also IDGAF!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by O6FXST
You'er full of it dude. Now your position has shifted to saying its a free country but if you don't wear a lid you are a danger to other bikers and even people in cars. Please explain how a biker not wearing a lid endangers other bikers and people in cars?
You'er also probably part of the politically correct "loud pipes give us a bad image" crowd.
Well i can take a shot to the head/ face from an object heaven forbid that could cause a helmet less rider to lose control. When you get hit in the face you tend to change focus from your driving to the hellish pain you are feeling. How well would you handle taking 20-30 bees to the face at 55+mph *let me tell you the body shots were not painless or like a few measly bugs. or a stone kicked up by a car or truck at highway speeds like a bullet. I wish i had a leather jacket on and that situation would of been pain free entirely but i didn't.

Lost control could mean you drive into the path of oncoming traffic or if group riding swerve into nearby drivers. On the other hand you can say holy sh_t i'm glad i had my shield down when i hit those bees or who knows what my reaction to it might of been. Have to be prepared for those freak occurrences that we all face on our bikes. That's why i said helmet less riders are more dangerous to other motorists then those who do wear. In fact those who wear are far less likely to be involved statistically in accidents then those who don't.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Once, a long time ago, I went for a ride on my motor bike. I wasn't wearing a helmet. I smelled the smells, saw the sights, and heard the noises. I had the time of my life. That was almost 40 years ago. This morning I did the same thing.
I'm not saying there haven't been times I wish I could have deflected this bug or that rain drop that smacked my head, but wearing a helmet just for those times just doesn't seem worth it for me. And I can hear you saying all the things that helmet wearers say, I don't need to hear it, believe me, I have heard it all, but I am not going to wear one, ever, unless I am forced too by an... ahem...."well meaning" Government. But if you do feel the need to strap one one, I will still keep waving to you!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyReb
Yep, GP racers wear FF helmets, and so do NASCAR drivers.

So do you wear a FF helmet when driving you car? After all, you MIGHT be involved in a bad crash and need it?

Not even a valid argument. I'm strapped in with airbags and you won't see me rolling down the road outside of my Jeep. This safety gear doesn't guarantee that i will survive an auto accident. A helmet doesn't guarantee that a GP racer or Nascar driver will survive a crash either. Why not ask them not to wear safety gear? They have one heck of a restraint system and roll cage? You know what? Freedom and common sense are not necessarily the same now are they. That's what its really about when it comes to individual safety choices ultimately. Ride safe!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Once, a long time ago, I went for a ride on my motor bike. I wasn't wearing a helmet. I smelled the smells, saw the sights, and heard the noises. I had the time of my life. That was almost 40 years ago. This morning I did the same thing.
I'm not saying there haven't been times I wish I could have deflected this bug or that rain drop that smacked my head, but wearing a helmet just for those times just doesn't seem worth it for me. And I can hear you saying all the things that helmet wearers say, I don't need to hear it, believe me, I have heard it all, but I am not going to wear one, ever, unless I am forced too by an... ahem...."well meaning" Government. But if you do feel the need to strap one one, I will still keep waving to you!
Yep, same here.

I've been riding Harley's since 1969, and have never worn helmets unless passing through a jurisdiction where they were required by law.

I like the wind in my face and enjoy being able to see, smell, hear, and feel the elements....

Besides that, bugs are just free protein, nothing to get excited about.

Quick Reply: Why i wear a FF helmet.