General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went for a ride...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:08 AM
fastalkintn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow man that is great...kink of makes me want to head out right now. I think you should submit that to a magazine, it really sums it up. I love all the smells while riding.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 AM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great read. We may have the next Peter Egan right here on our forum!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

True poetry & now I'm hungry for some BBQ. Definitely have to reflect on the true reason a person rides & this vision really puts things into perspective. Nice nite - thanks for sharing...now where's that darn BBQ joint...;-)

Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 AM
skdvr
Tourer

Very well said...

I just got back on a bike after not riding for 3 years, also on my first Harley. Those sounds, smells, and feelings you mentioned hit me too, just as I started down the road for the first time on it. You could not have smacked the smile off my face.

Thanks for sharing...

Phil

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, the smells....................

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
It’s a hot night in so-cal. The kids are in bed, the wife is painting various limbs something sparkly, and I had a buddy who needed a hand fixing something…So I took a ride. I guess I realize it more when I ride at night down a nearly deserted road, free of cars filled with people trying to hustle through life. Those people are all doing what I was an hour ago…tucking kids in, trying to convince the wife that the Lifetime movie of the week is not more entertaining than….it doesn’t matter. Lifetime it is. The only difference between them and me is that I went for a ride.

I smell gas exploding and ejecting an inch from my leg, hot asphalt, dead roadkill, and the BBQ joint smoking some type of carcass…it smells awesome, at least at 60 MPH. I really should remember to roll my window down next time I drive by the BBQ joint. The point is, I smelled the stink of what I love for a few minutes tonight in the middle of my crazy life,, and I remembered why I love it.

I felt saddened for those who don’t know what a bug tastes like, how girls yelling at you from the car at the stoplight without realizing how ugly and old and fat you are under that beard and helmet makes you king for a moment, or what wind on your bare knuckles is all about. I really think most people would take one hit and jonze for it forever, but for whatever reason they don’t try. If they only knew this unexplainable release, they might grin a little more. They might realize that out there, there aren’t any kids yelling, women bitching, unpaid bills, custody battles, layoffs, illnesses, heartaches, drama, whatever. It is magic and bullshit and silence and chaos. You just hold on and try not to die. And if I die, well, today is as good as any. At least I smelled the BBQ.
I've got to laugh after reading your post. I understand you completely but it reminds me of a friend I've had for 35 years that decided to buy his first motorcycle. This happened about 9 years ago. He went through the whole process of taking a basic and later a more advanced riding course and loved it. The second ride we took together resulted in him getting hit by a couple medium size grasshoppers. One in the chin and one on his left hand. He said it hurt so bad that he couldn't pull the clutch lever. Three days later he sold his almost new scoot with 176 miles on it. He said later it was bad enough in his car with the windows up but he couldn't stand the smell of the cow patties while riding down country roads.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
08XBRider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think most people would take one hit and jonze for it forever, but for whatever reason they don’t try. If they only knew this unexplainable release, they might grin a little more.
You know what? Jesus is like that.

...out there, there aren’t any kids yelling, women bitching, unpaid bills, custody battles, layoffs, illnesses, heartaches, drama, whatever.
I can relate to this more than you know, but the thing I found is that riding - awesome as it is - is just a temporary escape from the reality back home. When you return after rollin' on the Cross Bones (I have one, too!), all those things are still waiting for you. With Jesus, well, you're just able to manage them all better because you do it in His strength. It's awesome!

By the way, I'm not trying to convert anyone - that's between you and God. I'm just one beggar telling another beggar where he found some bread...

Peace and joy, my brother!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

yeah...the smells... one of our favorites and it's hard to find in socal anymore is riding through the orange groves at night when the trees are in bloom-absolutely intoxicating!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
JoshuaCannon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen..

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 AM
drifter27011
Tourer

Ah, the awesome smells of a ride.
Now I am hungry.......Great read

Quick Reply: I went for a ride...