General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Just swapped out cables and reverse bled the front brakes. Run a whole can of silicone 4 thru it. Not a single bubble in sight.

I have front brakes but the brake lever goes all the way back to the grip. Definitely not the norm. Usual is only about an inch of travel.

Any ideas?. I'm going to try conventional bleeding tomorrow. I also have a vacumn bleeder I may try out.

silicone 4 ???

Old 07-17-2010, 06:21 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Cable tie the lever to the grip overnight. If the bike is inside, leave the master cylinder cap off. Turn the bars to the left so the master cylinder is as high as possible. It's worked for me before.
This works,I personally just turned bars to the left and left things alone.Also very slowly pump up master (gives the master a chance to refill the pressure chamber) until you have a good feel then open one bleeder at a time until lever goes to bar.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF Why are the simple jobs the ones that make you want take a hammer to the bike or to your head.

Reverse bleeding didn't work. Cable tying the brake lever back overnight seemed like it helped a bit. Vacumn bled a whole can of fluid through it this morning w/o a bubble in sight. Same result.

Took it out for a test ride (08 Deluxe) and the bike stops fine, just the lever has over an inch of travel and goes to about 3/8" from the bar.

On my Heritage I only have about 1/4" of travel and the it's hard.

After the test ride I took the reservoir cover off and when I tapped the lever a couple bubbles came up so I definitely have air trapped somewhere.

I'll try cabling the lever again tonight.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
WTF Why are the simple jobs the ones that make you want take a hammer to the bike or to your head.

Reverse bleeding didn't work. Cable tying the brake lever back overnight seemed like it helped a bit. Vacumn bled a whole can of fluid through it this morning w/o a bubble in sight. Same result.

Took it out for a test ride (08 Deluxe) and the bike stops fine, just the lever has over an inch of travel and goes to about 3/8" from the bar.

On my Heritage I only have about 1/4" of travel and the it's hard.

After the test ride I took the reservoir cover off and when I tapped the lever a couple bubbles came up so I definitely have air trapped somewhere.

I'll try cabling the lever again tonight.

Thanks for the help
In difficult cases you might try rapping the calipers, lines and junction box with the butt of a screwdriver a few times to get the air dislodged.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, I think I got it now. I disconnected all the brake cable clamps and let the cable hang free. I was thinking maybe air was getting hung up in the bends. Then zip-tied the lever back. An hour later, major improvement. Almost back to normal.

Thanks for that ziptie trick DK. First I ever heard of it but then after you mentioned it I found it posted a couple different places online.