General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you paint an anniversary edition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
SteveH-D
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`d say do whatever makes you happy ! I ordered a new RK in 09 , payed extra for a Custom Colored paint , and now 2 yrs later , H-D has decided to offer it as a Stock color . ( kind of a slap in the face ) If and when the time comes I think my bike needs a Facelift , I`ll do my own Custom thing and not worry about it .

Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that color comb, was a joke none of these so called anniv, models are worth a penny more just like the silver and black 03 everyone says oh you own a 03 h.d.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not repainted yet?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=Jarhead08;7008169]its an anniversary bike that thousands of other people own thats painted the same way, make it different, wont make one bit of difference in trade in.[/quoteyep...the anniversary models are not rare. Paint away!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=warrconn;7012017]
Originally Posted by Jarhead08
its an anniversary bike that thousands of other people own thats painted the same way, make it different, wont make one bit of difference in trade in.[/quoteyep...the anniversary models are not rare. Paint away!
instead of having one of a few thousand in the color you like, you could paint it red, black, or blue and have one of a bazillion in the color of everyone elses!
Different strokes for different folks!
It's your bike, do what suits you and ***** everyone elses opinion

Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the colors... and with all things.. new is not collectible, or valuable, or desirable..
but 5 to ten years from now.. when everybody has a 105 but none of them original, the guy with one will stand out... will be the one investors and collectors want...... and want to pay top dollar for..
you on the other hand, can have your cake and eat it too....
put the tins away, buy a new set... keep these for a rainy day.... your kids? maybe they too will ant to replicate dads old bike? ( if you have kids, im just saying)
there is a reason you bought the ole copper bike after all... independent of price and what not..
I wouldnt paint it...
the ones saying paint are the ones.... 10 years from now saying..

yeah man, back in 10, i had an original ( fill in the space)...
I wouldnt say use your bike as an investment... but the 105s are somewhat less flooded than the 03s... i mean isnt your bike numbered?
like maybe only 1500 to 4000 of each model? or something?
yeah there are alot of them....
its your bike...
I wouldnt paint an anniversary color....
and I wouldnt have gotten one if there wasnt a reason i got it in the first place...

Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Why not pick up a spare set of tins, paint it how you like, put the originals on the shelf and see how much more you get offered . If the swap makes it worth more to a buyer, sell it that way and sell the original tins later.,,,

Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Why not pick up a spare set of tins, paint it how you like, put the originals on the shelf and see how much more you get offered . If the swap makes it worth more to a buyer, sell it that way and sell the original tins later.,,,
A new bikes not in the budget. So here I am with this. And 2k plus for all the tins covers and bags. Plus a couple more for paint. At that point I'd have the down money for a new bike. Lol.

Nah. I like my 265.00 a month. 2 more years maybe. I'm 2 payment ahead.

I still like the color. I just need a change.

And in 5 years I won't have this bike so it being more valuable then is a non issue.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Paint it to your liking. Special paint/year /model does not make the bike an investment. Suppose if you hang onto it for 40 years it could change provided you also put it back completely back to stock condition and stopped riding it till then, you could offer it as a low miles original. Short of that...nope

Amazes me how folks will buy a special edition model HD today under the guise that the value will suddenly go up when you and 100K others now own the same bike.

There are some exceptions but it is not as though they were purchased at the time with that type of mindset for the most part....36 Knuckle, Vincent Black Shadow are two that come to mind.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

bought it for the color. Coulndt have cared less about a silly 105th badge. They're ugly anyway. Like I said. Wanted to be different and I paid less for this than the standard was. So I'm not losing the 2k extra they were charging for this paint set.

Why does everone assume I think it's worth A ton more? I don't. Never did. But I did assume a slightly higher trade in than stock. But not a bunch. I am a realist.

I'm painting it anyway.

Quick Reply: Would you paint an anniversary edition?