General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More upkeep or am I not doing something right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More upkeep or am I not doing something right?

Read several comments in threads from owners who currently own or have owned other bike brands say their Harley requires(d) more upkeep. I've even read someone say you can't just get on a Harley and go like other bikes without some sort of maintenance or they cost way more to maintain. I have only been ridin harleys for 4 years. Just traded a RK for a Limited. Before HD's I had a Honda VTX 1800, VTX 1300 & Triumph Speed Triple at the same time, Suzuki GSXR, Kawasaki, & a Yamaha. I do the same thing with the HD's as I did with them. I follow the Owners manual to the letter as far as routine maint. I change my own fluids and do most non engine related work. The HD's haven't really cost that much more (more fluids with 3 holes), belt adjustments, plugs, etc.. but valve adjustments and coolant changes kind of even things out. When I ride I do pre-ride inspections for loose bolts and tire pressure etc.. but no maint out of the ordinary & just go. I must admit I ride at most 8k miles/yr so not a lot compare to others but it was the same with all the bikes. I also keep my bike stock except stage 1 stuff.

Am I missing something? Are there Harleys that require a lot of upkeep or I am just lucky. Of all the bikes, I have never had a bad one.

Now watch my Limited blow up next week... lol!

p.s. By the way the Limited is a heck of a bike!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the people saying that are the same ones that say Harleys vibrate like hell and leak oil. Most of them are either ignorant of modern Harleys or downright stupid!

Ignore the idiots!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are not as bullet proof as the metrics that you have ridden. With that being said, they are sitll worth the effort.

But to each his own.

R. Todd

Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyReb
Most of the people saying that are the same ones that say Harleys vibrate like hell and leak oil. Most of them are either ignorant of modern Harleys or downright stupid!

Ignore the idiots!

Dammit good advice!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting prices for a gear-driven cam install with a friend. He rides a vtx 1300. He heard the cost of the parts and install and said "thats what you get for buying that thing".
I had to set him straight quickly.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
EHLTB66
Tourer

+1 on what SportyReb said.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

My Harley has cost less on a per service basis than my Yamaha did. With that being said the Harley has cost a lot more to maintain on an annual basis - because we ride it TWICE as much.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myself I change my oil & clean the air filter every other month that's about 5000 miles. I ride the hell out of my bikes.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've found maintenance on my 2008 UC to be pretty similar to other makes, I have left it stock, (didn't pay the "Harley tax). Several years ago I test rode a stock Harley and I would have considered doing Stage 1 (at least) a necessity.
More people do more upgrades on Harleys so that could be factored in. Some of those "upgrades" can affect reliability and increase maintenance costs.
Many years ago I can remember my neighbor tearing down the engine on his Harley every winter. Also 2 or 3 times every summer he'd be down for some type of repair.
The reputation for poor quality is hard to overcome, IMO Harleys have gotten much better over the past 25 years or so.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,119 Likes on 6,695 Posts

That's funny, the last two times I stopped to help someone broke down, they were newer metrics. I was on my Shovelhead, where I keep extra points, condensor, plugs, master link, bulbs, etc. in the small toolbag which has just enough tools to address any needs. None of that would help them.

Couldn't do much more than make sure they had help arranged. While I have sympathy for anyone broke down, I have to admit the scenario made me laugh a little to myself.

Quick Reply: More upkeep or am I not doing something right?