General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
RVBUG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler

We are thinking of switching from a truck camper to a toy hauler so we can bring our "Fat Boy"along with us on trips
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience
Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Originally Posted by RVBUG
We are thinking of switching from a truck camper to a toy hauler so we can bring our "Fat Boy"along with us on trips
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience
Thanks
RVBug
I have a 30' Nitrous toyhauler and I love it. The naysayers are going to say you are "trailering" "trailer queen" blah blah blah. I say you are camping and have the option of bringing your bike with you. My wife and I do a lot of bike trips but also do a 3 week trip each year in the trailer. Last year did Tennesee, North Carolina area. We stayed in RV parks rode the bike for 4 days each spot seen everything, moved to another RV park did the same. We did this 4 times. By the end of trip we had a ton of miles on the bike. The only thing we missed out on was the 3 days we would of had to spend on the Interstate.
We also do a lot of local weekend events, and love it.
Think of this,,when you end a long day of riding you get back to your trailer and you have your own living room, kitchen, bedroom,garage, and bathroom with you.
The beer in the fridge and the steaks marinating are also a bonus.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Retro Rider
6th Gear

I've had a couple of toy haulers, a Fleetwood Gearbox ( Fleetwood quit making trailers) and we just bought a 40' Keystone Raptor. We liked the Gearbox, it was a no frills 35 foot 5th wheel but it didnt have a lot of room, no slides. The Raptor we have now we have only had a month but I would have to say so far its doing a great job. We have been on two short trips and it sure is nice to take the bike with us. The whole RV industry is kind of crazy right now, a lot of companys that made a good toyhauler went out of buisness last year. I think the two most popular today are the Cyclone by Heartland and the Raptor by Keystone. The dealer I do buisness with carries both, I chose the Raptor but I think they are both good units. I can tell you the experience of RV travel with the Harley is GREAT!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

can one rent a toyhauler?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Retro Rider
6th Gear

BlueNoser, you nailed it! But you forgot to mention mixing up a batch of Margarittas at the end of a hot day.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
RVBUG
6th Gear

we have been camping for about 20 years now in an RV and now a truck camper..but rather than buying a trailer and towing w/the TC we like the idea of the toy hauler would like a unit 20/ft w queen bed who makes the beast?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I did it on the cheap. Got a 8.5X20 Haulmark and put in Condor wheel chocks for three bikes. Then built a fold away bunk that I put an air mattress on. Installed a closet, work bench and cabinet with storage under the work bench.

I got a combined heat pump and portible air conditioner unit. I have a generator in the truck bed that plugs into the trailer outlets. Total cost was just under $8K.

I can remove the installation in under 30 minutes when I use it for hauling a collector car.

I can get by with the minimal accommodations as my wife does not like to go to rallies.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

We are in Gunnison, Colorado right now and I'm typing this in our new toyhauler as I relax after a day of riding! We just bought a KZ MXT20. It will haul 2 full size HD's and has all the comforts of home. This trip is the maiden voyage. 1/2 ton towable, weighs in at about 7,000 pounds fully loaded. So far I give it 2 thumbs up!

http://www.kz-rv.com/mxt/index.html

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,058 Likes on 5,816 Posts

Toyhaulers Rock! You will not regret buying one. I built my own and go to 6 or 7 bike rallies a year. You can ride all day...drink all night and crash in your own bed with the A/C rocking....the only way to "camp"

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm on my second toyhauler. Have had campers for years and it was a natural progression. Recently returned from a 3500 mile trip to Laconia (NH), MA, and RI.

Can't beat having your own bed, bathroom and kitchen...Along with two full size bikes.

The best advice I can give you is that if you have the abilty to get a 5th wheel/Gooseneck trailer (vs a tag-along/bumber-pull), do it. I tow a 35 foot, 13,000 pound toy hauler behind an F-250, and sometime forget it's back there. The tag-along required far more "attention".

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler