General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Hot

Is there a point where heat can cause damage to a motorcycle. We are to have a heat index today of 110-115. I have never had a problem with the bike overheating but just to make sure.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you keep it moving it should be fine. Stop and go traffic with no airflow around the motor can get those temps up pretty high. For the most part its the rider that gives up first. A good synthetic oil and or oil cooler also helps in extreme heat.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of it has to do with the condition of your bike. Of course heat will damage a bike over a period of time. What does the most damage to the engine is prolonged riding in stop and go traffic. It important to keep the oil changed frequently. Everyone has a different idea as to what that period of time should be. Air cooled engines are at the mercy of the heat. The owner/rider is the most important controlling factor. Some riders claim they have never had over heating problems and others are always complaining of over heating issues. Extreme heat is very damaging to electrical and electronic parts.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 AM
azmusicman1
Advanced

You must live in Phoenix, damn its gonna be hot today and tomorrow

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I think heat "index" is only a term for what the human body will feel like the heat is as opposed to what it really is.....that "INDEX" thing has nothing to do with machines.

Example....It's 95 and humid and "feels like" or the "heat index" will be 105.....but really it's still just 95 degrees out....

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gliden
I think heat "index" is only a term for what the human body will feel like the heat is as opposed to what it really is.....that "INDEX" thing has nothing to do with machines.

Example....It's 95 and humid and "feels like" or the "heat index" will be 105.....but really it's still just 95 degrees out....
Yup, that's what heat index is. The bike will only "feels" the actual temp. That being said, I ride a lot in Temps from 104-107 and sometimes higher. All that really matters is that you need to keep an eye on the oil and maybe change it more often than normal in chase it's being broken down by the heat.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Your candy *** will melt before the bike

Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Unless you live somewhere it gets hotter than anywhere on this planet you will be fine. Nowhere in the warranty does it say "warranty void if ridden when it is hot".
That said I would not be stupid about it. I have shut down bike several times in traffic jams or at RR crossings when it was hot out. But actually riding it, any temp that won't kill you won't hurt the bike.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by azmusicman1
You must live in Phoenix, damn its gonna be hot today and tomorrow
Heh heh, damstraight. I think the 'real feel' here is about 138. Friday is going to be nuts.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

But it's a dry heat.
Sound freekin hot to me. But thanks for reminding me. I gotta go read some of those threads from January to see who on here was poking fun.

Seriously, worry about keeping yourself safe from the heat, the bike should be OK.

Quick Reply: Too Hot