Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian to Harley or Harley and Indian ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Reminds me of the oh my thread where the guy was upset over everyone telling him his VROD was not a real Harley.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
ga guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delane
I live in North Carolina where the Indian plant is located. My good friend "Double D" drives the demo truck for the company. He and I went out to L.A. for their Indian dealership opening. Dealers offer demo rides at these openings. All you need is a motorcycle license and DOT approved helment and you get to go for a ride. It is really interesting to hear the comments of Harley riders after they finish the rides. Check on the Indian web site and there may be an opening near you. They will be at Sturgis also.
How do they handle accidents? If I drop their bike will they make me pay?
I don't feel like riding $25K bike. They will probably rip off rider for any scratch.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Ramona
Cruiser

My 'first' bike was a worn out '50 Indian in '64, I was 17yrs old.
Buddies would ride by me on their Honda Dream 305's with clean clothes and a girl on the back....me in a pool of oil, or exhaust smoke....dirty clothes, and worst of all...no girl.

I have no love for Indian Motorcycles.......none, nada!
My uncle was a Harley hillclimber.....when getting to the 'top' made you a winner....he was a good influence...I learned the fine art of perseverance..

Modern Indian with the H-D clone Evo.....or a Briggs & Straton...who cares? ...not me

Last edited by Ramona; 07-14-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM
swaite
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ga guy
How do they handle accidents? If I drop their bike will they make me pay?
I don't feel like riding $25K bike. They will probably rip off rider for any scratch.
Well #1 its a 33-37k bike, and you need to have your own MC insurance (like a rental car) to cover a wreck.

The "NEW" indians are nothing like the old Gilroy bikes, looking at them they look upscale from the CVO harleys with much-much nicer leather work and non of the stamped chrome parts harleys have. If I was looking for a real classic looking bike that looked finished from the factory I would concider a Chief Vintage.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 946 Posts

I helped a friend take an Indian 80" apart a few years back. Surprised to see the crank-pin was about the same size as a Harley 45's. Indian didn't go out of business in 1953 because they were making great bikes.

The appeal of nostalgia is strong in some quarters. If you want an Indian, buy one. If I wanted the same riding experience I'd buy an Evo Softail.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a photo of my dad taken in the spring of 1943 with his Indian Chief. I think (but am not sure) it was a 1936 Chief. The photo was taken in front of his house on Austin Boulevard in Cicero, Illinois just a few days before he left to do his tour in WWII in the Pacific. I'd give my left nut to have that bike.

I remember when I was a kid just starting to ride, a friend pulled into my driveway on his "new to him" bike. My dad walked up to look at it and said "what is that"? My buddy said "It is a Triumph". My dad took a short look, took a puff on his pipe, and said "Over what"? I miss that old guy. Many fond memories hanging in the garage with him.

Attached Thumbnails Indian to Harley or Harley and Indian ?-oldindian2-1-.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
swaite
Road Captain

awsome picture!

Originally Posted by rh8234
Here is a photo of my dad taken in the spring of 1943 with his Indian Chief. I think (but am not sure) it was a 1936 Chief. The photo was taken in front of his house on Austin Boulevard in Cicero, Illinois just a few days before he left to do his tour in WWII in the Pacific. I'd give my left nut to have that bike.

I remember when I was a kid just starting to ride, a friend pulled into my driveway on his "new to him" bike. My dad walked up to look at it and said "what is that"? My buddy said "It is a Triumph". My dad took a short look, took a puff on his pipe, and said "Over what"? I miss that old guy. Many fond memories hanging in the garage with him.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Three things never cared about on Indians,skirted fenders,external kickstart 1/4 gear,and does not say Harley Davidson on the tanks.Otherwize nice machines.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the way Indians look and I'd like to have one, but every review I read says they don't measure up to Harley for quality and ride.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

there's a few folks here in the Raleigh, that have restored REAL Indian motorcycles.... they are a hoot, to see and hear... as are vintage HD's, and other brands.
I remember back in 2002, I road tested a new Indian Scout. When I returned, the salesman could see by my expression, I wasn't going to be buying THAT bike.
He looked at me, and asked" yanno what this bike does best?" I shook my head.... he then said " just this..... sitting..... you by this bike, ride it somewhere, and park it"....."folks will gather around to look it over"
Frankly.... I would have bought a Kawasaki "Drifter" 1500 in a heart beat... rather than a Gilroy "Indian"
That being said... the fit and finish of the "Kings Mountain NC" Indian... is prety darn good, and the prices are in line with CVO. Maybe if I hit the Lotto......

Quick Reply: Indian to Harley or Harley and Indian ?