General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Factory Security System

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD Factory Security System

The wifes '08 Deluxe came with the security system, while my '06 Hertiage did not. After installing the Smart Siren II and Remote Pager on her bike, I'm seriously considering investing in the system for mine. The install of her Smart Siren and Remote Pager was "plug and play" and worked flawlessly. I too like the way the bike chirps when you walk away from it, and for quick runs to the local bar or grocery store, I wouldn't worry about keying the ignition or fork. Just walk away and let the ignition disable itself! Won't stop the best of thiefs, but that is what insurance and LoJack is for. After purchasing the wifes bike, I would not purchase another Harley without the factory installed security system option.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

Its not worth the price ,if a pro thief wants your bike I am sure he can get past it[&:]

Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bobros

I had the security system installed when I rdered the bike however not the siren. How difficlt is it to install the siren?
My 03' SE-Deuce came with the security system and siren from the factory. I use it all the time and it works very well. Just touch the bike and it will go off.
My 08' Street Glide also came with the security system as a dealer installed option.....but not the siren. I did buy the smart siren II about a month or so ago and it took me all of about 30min to install. It also works flawlessly.

As for the new style fob without the button....well for me its not all that. Big deal....I dont have to hold down the button for 2 seconds to arm the system, and the same for disarming......with the button you have to double click it to disarm....and the newer units you just have to come within range.

I plan on getting the pager for both bikes this Spring.

Like another reply stated......if you buy a new HD and do not change the security systems PIN to a new number 99% of the time it will be the last 5 of the VIN...and the other 1% of the time it will be 5 zeros. A good friend of mine was amazed when I seen him just walk away from his bike not locking the ignition...and I told him I could start it without the fob if he didnt set his PIN. Took me about 10 seconds to have it running using the last 5 of the VIN for the disarm code.
So guys I will say it again......make sure you reassign the security PIN code when you get a new (or even used) bike, or it will be child's play for some crack head even to rip it off.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

make sure you reassign the security PIN code when you get a new (or even used) bike
Most dealerships require assigning/reassigning the security PIN before you take delivery of a new bike.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 57springer57

Its not worth the price ,if a pro thief wants your bike I am sure he can get past it[&:]
It's still worth the money to keep the amateurs away.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 PM
capt42a
Road Master

I like mine because it disables the ignition, and dont have to worry about locking the ignition.
capt42a

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whiterides

Bloody good system. No hassles at all. The proximity activate/deactivate makes all the difference. Just don't sleep upstairs from your bike with the fob! My place puts the fob in range!
Just put the FOB in a metal box, then try moving your bike to check that all is ok.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:26 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 57springer57

People that follow this reasoning are the reason why the system is worth every penny. The 1000 amateurs for each pro that exist will go get THAT bike instead of mine...

Seriously: 100% security doesn't exist. But you still can dramatically reduce the risk, harden the target and make it less appetizing to thieves. They just follow the same result/effort evaluation system used by anybody setting to a task.
Even the most skilled professional, between 9 bikes with a security system and one without, will choose the one without, unless he has a SPECIFIC reason to want your bike. But, again, for every professional that is out to get YOU, there are hundreds that are out to get the first available bike.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On the security systems with sirens, are these more reliable than the ones on cars.?

I wouldn't mind having one for when I park my bike at the boardwalk ormallbut I'm afraid the damn thing would go off and annoy everyone or worse, I'd get a noise ordinance ticket.

I don't think I'd be interested in the pager thing. Just something else to carry around.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

Dude you bought an expensive motorcycle, its worth it for the peace of mind. Its also not that complicated, if youre fob is close to the bike it will start if not it wont.

Quick Reply: HD Factory Security System