Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar bag - dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought this bag about six months ago with the idea that I could strap it on when needed.

Six months later I have NEVER taken it off. I like it a lot, and you never know when you will need to haul something fairly big home with you. Also, that bag has a built in lumbar support and it makes riding much more comfortable.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

10 pounds limit is a joke, unless you bought a sub-par backrest. I know on a daily average my bag is over 20 pounds and has been known to be over 40 depending on what all I needed to carry, never any worries. Also if the bag is heavy enough and you are riding solo, it might and will at times be like riding with a passenger.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bag

I have a T-Bag that I use all the time, I've never had a problem. Look anytime you ride your bike your taking a chance, don't worry about the small stuff, ride and have a good time you only live once, so enjoy yourself.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Bass, which bag is that? I've been looking for something that size that incorporates a backrest.

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
I bought this bag about six months ago with the idea that I could strap it on when needed.

Six months later I have NEVER taken it off. I like it a lot, and you never know when you will need to haul something fairly big home with you. Also, that bag has a built in lumbar support and it makes riding much more comfortable.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this pic is from about 5 yrs ago, had my heritage loaded pretty good, put several 1,000 miles on that way, just a little more top heavy but no big deal.
2nd pic is how my wife & I roll these days, much better...

10 pounds? funny stuff

Attached Thumbnails Sissy bar bag - dangerous?-dcp_1783.jpg   Sissy bar bag - dangerous?-img_1946.jpg  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should not have any trouble with a good bag.. make sure you have good quality straps.. NOT bunjee cords.. best straps are the ones that have buckels and not snaps.. you do not want your load shifting and you sure do not want something breaking loose(like bunjee cords and snaps) and alllowing the strap to fall into your 85 mph rear wheel.. I have logged a lot of miles with a bag strapped to the passenger back rest.. never any problem.. Get good straps at an outdoor specialty store(hint Wally-Mart is not an outdoor specialty store).. they are not cheap but they last a long time and worth the money you spend..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a hiking backpack that I strap to mine when we go to Red River, NM. I think the first year it was in the range of 50-60#, this year we had a chase car so I just put the essentials in the saddle bags and the backpack in the car. Backpack + wife + rain/hail/wind = no problems.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a cruiser bag when heading home for the weekend. Don't have a rack yet so it just sits in front of the Sissy Bar on the pillion seat. Been using it since I had less than 100 miles on the FXDF and just got used to it. Just take it easy until you get the feel of the extra load and you'll soon forget it is there.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yep, very dangerous

Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

HD puts those crazy warnings on everything to keep from getting sued. I got friends who fill up their saddlebags with beer and ice exceeding the 15 pound limitation all the time with no apparent problems.
I've filled up my ultra touring bag to the max and did not feel anything to be concerned about.

Quick Reply: Sissy bar bag - dangerous?