General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runaround with Hales HD Service Dept. in Mansfield, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Runaround with Hales HD Service Dept. in Mansfield, Ohio

Has anyone else had bad experience with their service department?

I bought my 2009 SG through them last July 31st. I have been completely satisfied with the bike other than the D407 front tire recall, which was not their fault.

So I get my front tire replaced last year with around 5700 miles on the bike. I now have 10400 and noticed the the wheel weights have fallen off and I'm getting some heavy vibration at 60mph plus.

So I call the service department today and explain that they changed out a tire for me about 5000 miles ago and the wheel weights had fallen off.

I was told that I would have to pay for a re-balance and labor for removing the wheel. Hell I can remove the wheel myself and take it into the shop. But how be damned if I am going to pay them to re-balance my tire.

Just wanted to vent a little on this glorious Monday morning. Anyone else had a run around with Hales service department?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how the hell is this the dealerships fault? 5,000 miles later? seriously?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd ask them if they warrant the wheel weights they install. I had it happen once and just took the wheel in and they re-balanced it for free, but then I'm friendly with everyone in the place. They charge me $40 to remove the old tire from rim, install new one and balance. I take it off the bike.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

lol you want them to warrant a wheel weight after 5k miles? that's funny.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any luck with stick on wheel weights. They always seem to fall off my bikes. I decided to go with the dyna beads in the tire to balance the wheels.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Different dealers are willing to do different amounts for their customers. This is especially true in gray areas. Hales HD (Mansfield) has never impressed me much in that regard. (Stories I have heard from their customers I ride with.) My dealership Lake Erie HD (Avon) has always gone out of there way to try to make a happy customer and by and large they have suceeded....

Last edited by PFWiz; 07-12-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
lol you want them to warrant a wheel weight after 5k miles? that's funny.
+1...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it yourself or go with the Dyna Beads . . .

You can balance it yourself with two cheap jackstands and bearings from a skateboard shop. The weights you can get off Ebay for a couple of bucks. It takes a bit of fab work but nothing major.

Then you spin the wheel assembly and mark the bottom where it stops. Spin it several times. If it always stops in the same place that's the heavy side. Add weight to the top until the wheel stops in random places over four or five spins. Done.

If you go with the Dyna Beads there's just one caution. If you ever get a flat in the middle of nowhere where you have to repair it with a plug the beads will stick to the glue on the plug and make you think your tire turned square.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
how the hell is this the dealerships fault? 5,000 miles later? seriously?
I just just figured they would tell me to bring the bike in and take care of it for me after buying a $25,000 bike from them.

They do put cheap stick on wheel weights but they should still stay on your wheel for the life of the tire.

I think I am going to go with the dyna beads and have my buddy balance it at his shop.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SC-Longhair lol you want them to warrant a wheel weight after 5k miles? that's funny.

Ah hells bells wtf could it hurt to try? I realize its Moco but most cage tire warranties cover balancing too.

Funny how a question posted goes to bashing the OP.

Quick Reply: Runaround with Hales HD Service Dept. in Mansfield, Ohio