General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Long to Ride Ca to Va?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
Yeah, I'm familiar. Again, those are the guidelines for the trip. I can't help that liberals control some of the American soil along my route. I'm gonna start out in the People's Republic of California and just keep repeating "no permit carry in AZ. no permit carry in AZ" till I cross the state line. Can't take HWY 50 if it goes through Illinois. I will NEVER set foot...or tire...in that state.

I've ridden the BRP from Cherokee to HWY 77 in VA and that's gotta be the best weekend of my life.
Why? Your boss is from that state.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode my FLHS from Maryland across the country west on Rt 50, went across the Golden Gate Bridge and turned around and rode back on I-40. It took 13 days for 6,400 miles. That included 3 stops for bike problems. The primary seal leaked and it was 4 hours in Grand Junction, CO, then the ignition switch vibrated loose in Reno and the speedo cable came loose along the way.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM
FLST rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll generally travel about 400 miles a day depending on the weather. About the only time I'll stretch it past that is if I'm not close to a good stop-over place or it's my last day on the road and I'll push on in. Did a run from MCAS El Toro to Roanoke, VA. back in the stone ages going further and faster but I was young and still had my Superman cape.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like most people average the same mileage I do. 350-450 miles depending on how much you push. There are HD shops EVERYWHERE so I'm not worrying about maintenance, too much.

Why? Your boss is from that state.
My boss is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The guy driving the bus over the cliff is from Illinois and that's precisely the reason I'll never go there.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Default All Slab

Well, it's more of a guideline than a rule. I realize there are some places more free than others in this wonderful country.

I normally avg 50-60 mph on road trips, but those were 4-700 milers. This would be my first attempt at a cross country ride.

Basic plan would be San Diego, Prescott for GMR tune, Denver for family, I'm guessing a lot of interstate time through Kansas/Missouri unless I missed something the last time I drove 100mph through those states, Knoxville, a whole day of Blue Ridge Mtns, Asheville, to Camp Lejeune.

3000 miles according to Google Maps. I'm assuming another 500 for back roads. 10 days seems doable!

80% of that route is no helmet/open carry.
I road from Denver to Southern Maryland 1785 miles in three days! Was running 80 most of the time on the slab.. I was in a rush to get back so pushed.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

I road from Denver to Southern Maryland 1785 miles in three days! Was running 80 most of the time on the slab.. I was in a rush to get back so pushed.
I'm trying to find that balance of "enjoying the ride" and "hurry up and get there." I plan on making up time through Kansas and Missouri on the slab. The bike's speedometer goes to 120 for a reason and it's called "Kansas".

Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a windshield on the Dyna? Wind and bugs will take their toll if you don't.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
You have a windshield on the Dyna? Wind and bugs will take their toll if you don't.
I"m still trying to decide between the HD detachable and WindVest. I stopped giving the "old man" crap about his Road King's windshield the first time I road it over 200 miles. Amazing piece of engineering haha.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 350 miles?

Originally Posted by Road Toad
It would take 10 days average 350 miles a day which is a very easy day with time to look at the scenery and such.
Dude, I'm 65 yrs old and can do 500+ a day standing on my ear. I did 350 miles today for a lunch ride and another time did 800 miles in one day when I wanted to get home.

It's your choice on routes and what you want to do. Just ride and enjoy. Plan on a week at least going each way.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:46 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm trying to find that balance of "enjoying the ride" and "hurry up and get there." I plan on making up time through Kansas and Missouri on the slab. The bike's speedometer goes to 120 for a reason and it's called "Kansas".
I just got back from CO to NC. 1600 miles in 34 hours. Stopped overnight in Jefferson City, MO. Saw more State Troopers in Kansas than any other state I went through.

Quick Reply: How Long to Ride Ca to Va?