General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Long to Ride Ca to Va?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

And you wanna do that with your starting/ending points in CA & VA??? Uh, 0 for 2...
Well, it's more of a guideline than a rule. I realize there are some places more free than others in this wonderful country.

I normally avg 50-60 mph on road trips, but those were 4-700 milers. This would be my first attempt at a cross country ride.

Basic plan would be San Diego, Prescott for GMR tune, Denver for family, I'm guessing a lot of interstate time through Kansas/Missouri unless I missed something the last time I drove 100mph through those states, Knoxville, a whole day of Blue Ridge Mtns, Asheville, to Camp Lejeune.

3000 miles according to Google Maps. I'm assuming another 500 for back roads. 10 days seems doable!

80% of that route is no helmet/open carry.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what most said. I've ridden cross country 3 times, last in 2006. I went from Portland, OR to Buffalo, NY in 3.5 days. The first day was a 911 miles, the others seemed easy after that, all interstate. On the way back I took route 2, a nice 2 lane highway thru a bunch of towns that all started to look the same after a couple days. Oh yea, it took all of 6 days to get back, I was tired after that ride. If I ever do it again I'd go the slow route there and the fast way home. Good luck with your trip and stay alert. I never rode at night except for the first one.

Last edited by PNSHVL; 07-12-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Speed limit on Skyline Drive is 35 and 45 on BRP. I have breakfast at the South Street Grill in Front Royal and then head out. I'm never in too much of a rush so it's 2 1/2 days for me to ride. Depending on time of year fog can be a problem. On warm sunny days the ride is about as good as it gets. From the southern end of BRP it is less than 60 miles to Deals Gap, TN, the top end of "The Tail of the Dragon", a section of road 11 miles long with something like 318 curves.

If you headed to either Chattanooga or Knoxville first you could run up the tail of the Dragon and pick up the southern end point of BRP at Cherokee, NC. Run north on BRP up to NC 421 and then head east towards the coast.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
len_atwork
Tourer
Default Wish I had thought about it like you have

In the mid 1980's I was transfered from Camp Elmore (Norfolk, VA) to Camp Pendleton, CA. I had a buddy who was also being transfered at the same time. We started checking out as soon as we could on our detachment date, a Monday for some strange reason. Once we were done we loaded my Yamaha 750 into a uhaul trailer and drove non-stop to Detroit. Well, non-stop except for the flat tire on the trailer at 5am. A short wait for a bored tow truck driver to put a new tire on the trailer allowed us to arrive in Detroit near sunrise on Tuesday. After a short nap and lunch (his grandmother wouldn't let me leave without eating something) I pulled my bike out of the trailer and hit the road while my buddy stayed home on his leave. Thursday afternoon I pulled into San Francisco for my leave with my fiance.

No sight seeing, nearly all the way on the interstates. I had a fiance waiting for me!! Looking back, I do wish I'd spent some time doing the tourist thing.

Have a great ride!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

5 to 6 days if you just ride and not do any sight seeing. Up to a year if you look into everything.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Or you could take I-25 south out of Denver and pickup US Route 50 and ride that all the way to Ocean City, MD. I have ridden Rte 50 through a part of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and Virginia. Rte 50 through West Virginia is a very good ride.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,520 Posts

You can only "open carry" in Kali if your gun is not loaded and ammo is not accessible, so unless you are going to use the gun to bludgeon someone you are pretty much carrying a rock on your side. Kali also has a helmet law so to start you are down 2.

here is some help on some of the various states

www.bikerroad.com/laws.htm

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You can only "open carry" in Kali if your gun is not loaded and ammo is not accessible, so unless you are going to use the gun to bludgeon someone you are pretty much carrying a rock on your side. Kali also has a helmet law so to start you are down 2.
Yeah, I'm familiar. Again, those are the guidelines for the trip. I can't help that liberals control some of the American soil along my route. I'm gonna start out in the People's Republic of California and just keep repeating "no permit carry in AZ. no permit carry in AZ" till I cross the state line. Can't take HWY 50 if it goes through Illinois. I will NEVER set foot...or tire...in that state.

I've ridden the BRP from Cherokee to HWY 77 in VA and that's gotta be the best weekend of my life.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
kabluie
Cruiser

San Diego to Virginia - I just did that trip in a Class A motorhome. I went route 40 nearly all the way. It was about a 5 day trip, but I travelled at 60 MPH. I've found that after you stop for gas, food, and potty breaks, you'll probably average about 50 MPH regardless of what speed you travel. When I travel without the motorhome I just cruise at the speed limit. That way I don't worry about police officers pulling me over for speeding and I can relax and enjoy the trip. I suggest that you take a day off in the middle of the trip and do some sight seeing. I dropped down to Clarkdale Ms. That is where the cross roads, route 61 and 49, cross in the heart of the blues country. The Delta Blues Museum is a hoot.

Good luck and drive safe. Samper Fi

Last edited by kabluie; 07-13-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM
vtxxxr
Cruiser

That sounds like a great ride man! We are heading up to PA from S. GA in June next year, right at 900 miles, we routinely do 3-400 miles in a day, so Im hopin we can nock it out in 2 days, but we are not going to be pushing time clocks!

Good luck man, and definately ride safe!!

Quick Reply: How Long to Ride Ca to Va?