General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just can't find the right riding buddies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Just can't find the right riding buddies!

I have two good friends that I ride with, but frankly ever since moving south I haven't been able to find somebody that matches my riding style.

I have a buddy that rides a BMW. He is a number of years older then me and his idea of a good time is 12+ hours on the bike a nice dinner, bed and then back on the bike for another 12+. He is currently out on a three week tour that will take him over to the Sierra Nevada's and then North into Canada. Sounds like a good ride, but a little too intense for me.

I have another buddy, he is a younger guy that rides an Iron Horse. His idea of a good time is trailering his bike to a state park, hanging out, drinking heavily and looking at breasts that for the most part tend to be past their prime. I go from time to time, but frankly the scene is getting a little old.

If i could just merge the two! I have a couple of rides I want to take...

-I want to take a long weekend and ride down to New Orleans. Ride some and then hang out on Bourbon Street for a night or two.

-I also would love to ride over to Sante Fe, NM and then through the mountains North into Colorado.

-And for a big ride! West to Vegas hitting all the big sites along the way.

I am taking a week off later this summer and instead of adjusting my style to everyone around me, I am going to take a trip the way I want to - I am going to go alone!

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. I just thought I would commiserate!

Last edited by bradleys; 07-12-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually prefer riding without a pack. Too many of the people around here feel like they have to ride like an a$$hat in order to be cool.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah! trying to get people with the same idea and schedule can be tough!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
I have two good friends that I ride with, but frankly ever since moving south I haven't been able to find somebody that matches my riding style.

I have a buddy that rides a BMW. He is a number of years older then me and his idea of a good time is 12+ hours on the bike a nice dinner, bed and then back on the bike for another 12+. He is currently out on a three week tour that will take him over to the Sierra Nevada's and then North into Canada. Sounds like a good ride, but a little too intense for me.

I have another buddy, he is a younger guy that rides an Iron Horse. His idea of a good time is trailering his bike to a state park, hanging out, drinking heavily and looking at breasts that for the most part tend to be past their prime. I go from time to time, but frankly the scene is getting a little old.

If i could just merge the two! I have a couple of rides I want to take...

-I want to take a long weekend and ride down to New Orleans. Ride some and then hang out on Bourbon Street for a night or two.

-I also would love to ride over to Sante Fe, NM and then through the mountains North into Colorado.

-And for a big ride! West to Vegas hitting all the big sites along the way.

I am taking a week off later this summer and instead of adjusting my style to everyone around me, I am going to take a trip the way I want to - I am going to go alone!

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. I just thought I would commiserate!

that's my style...and it's hard to find others into the same riding as me...so I know what you mean. as for the ***** I LOVE those too but the ones I look at are nice young and perky

some of the rides you've mentioned here I'd be into...I think I could handle your style for a bit

Last edited by DinoVelvet; 07-12-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I must just be incredibly lucky. Most of the guys I ride with like to ride pretty much the same as I do, or vice versa. We like to meet up about 9am Saturday morning and ride most of the day. Stopping for breaks/lunch and returning home after putting in a couple hundred miles of twisties and some highway miles. We get back around 4 or 5 then have a few (or more) beers. Over night rides are pretty much the same, just that we each get a hotel room and add another day or two of riding. There's not much better than beer and boobies, just save 'em for after the ride IMHO.

Hopefully you will find some riding partners that share your same style/interests.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell, your lucky, i have no one to ride with..the only time i get to ride with other bikers is at a poker run, and you get all different kinds there, some not so safe. I would like to hook up with two or 3 other bikers and just make a day of it from time to time, casual rides where you take breaks, ride back roads, stop at little dives for a bite to eat. do it all my lonesome for now, company can make things more enjoyable.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I have found that the day rides, the ones that you leave in the morning and ride a couple hundred miles and then go back home are the ones for group rides. Not much to them, come and go, you know?

The rides that last for days or weeks are the one that are best done alone. Take your time, do as you please, noone to answer to. Get up when you want, leave when you want, stop when you want, and go again when you want. The longer rides are the ones I like to do alone. Well, not alone, but just me and my wife.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the feeling, being the last one to buy a motorcycle (swore I never would) in my small group of friends that ride I find that after all their talk about how great riding is they never seem to actually ride.

Their idea of riding is bikers for babies runs or bar runs, while those can be fun I like to ride, I like just keep going till I run out of gas or get hungry or thirsty, I dont care where I ride I just want to go.

I dont care how hot or windy it is, I dont care if it might rain, I dont care how late or what day it is, I ride.

If I won the lottery tonight I would take off and never stop. Until then I will just have to wait till I retire.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM
k1768
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to ride alone. I ride to get away from people in the first place.
To each their own.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

I joined a club, a Riding club and rode with them until i found a few friends in there that i click with more... we ride our own rides and every once in a while we put out a ride for the club like a poker run...Not usually affiliated with religious groups but have some member that belong to ABATE, CMA, HOG, Wingers etc.... The club is the Southern Cruisers and they have a chapter in Forth Worth. Check it out if you haven't yet....The chapter here really rides...See the 2 links below.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/NTSC/start

http://www.fortworthscrc.org/

It worked out great for me. I rode by myself for 2 years and wanted to RIDE...everybody i met wanted to bar hop or go on freakin cross country rides.. i wanted to ride on weekends and take some trips when i have time off....Hope you find some riding buddies.

Quick Reply: Just can't find the right riding buddies!