General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just can't find the right riding buddies!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailBrian
I have found that the day rides, the ones that you leave in the morning and ride a couple hundred miles and then go back home are the ones for group rides. Not much to them, come and go, you know?

The rides that last for days or weeks are the one that are best done alone. Take your time, do as you please, noone to answer to. Get up when you want, leave when you want, stop when you want, and go again when you want. The longer rides are the ones I like to do alone. Well, not alone, but just me and my wife.
+1. Although a group ride for me is 3 or 4 bikes. Did a large group of about 40 bikes one time and that was enough. I take a several thousand mile road trip every year solo (my wife doesn't ride). Once I hit the road I don't have to worry about anyone's schedule but my own. No interuptions (phone calls, honey do's, etc). Just me and my bike. Really doesn't get any better than that IMO.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like I'm like most here in that there is no one close by that has a similar riding style. I ride a few of the local HOG rides but my wife is really not into them. The guys that I know around here that ride like shorter rides with LOTS of stops. I ride by myself most of the time.

The guy that I found that rides most like me is 1000 miles away in Nebraska. He and his wife ride out west to meet my wife and me for a week long 2000ish mile ride once a year. This year I rode out to his place and we took off to the east coast for a longer ride. I did 5000ish miles in 10 days on that trip and it was definitely the funnest time I've had.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RKKY
Usually prefer riding without a pack. Too many of the people around here feel like they have to ride like an a$$hat in order to be cool.
If you ride without a pack, what do you put your gear in?