General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just can't find the right riding buddies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My best and only really true riding buddy is my wife (37yrs and it gets better every Yr),, she sits on the rear 95% of the time. We love the peace and serenity of a quiet ride in the country..
Plenty of beautiful sites on the country rodes here in the flats of Ind. (If we stay away from the stinky, Pig farms)

Other than that, its my son that I ride with when he can get away.

Just don't like the problems that some riders bring with them.
Like to go when, where, and how we want too.
Will do a couple charity rides a yr. Solo on them.

Once read--------- Young riders needs a destination, Old riders needs a direction.... that fits me 100%

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

ZOOPMAN, what part of No Cal you from?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

1) If your favorite song is, "The More I Drink" by Blake Shelton, then you can ride with me.
2) If you leave your wife at home so your girlfriend can ride with you, then you can ride with me.
3) If you've ever rushed the stage during a wet t-shirt contest, you can ride with me.
4) If you've ridden hundreds of miles in freezing rain, 100 degree heat or any other type of foul weather just to have a beer with a stranger, then you can ride with me.
5) If you've ever warbled a Celine Dion song on karaoke night... and you're straight - You're warped, so you can ride with me.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by k1768
I prefer to ride alone. I ride to get away from people in the first place.
To each their own.
+1 on that...

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like riding alone or just with my wife and I and she rides her own bike we can stop where we want and ride at our own pace.
I also like riding in small groups of no more then 6 bikes. We make a plan on where we are stopping for lunch or for the night and so if anyone gets seperated or wants to go at a different pace we just meet up with them later.
I know some people that I will not ride with anymore. They are high maintenace they take too long to get ready in the morning and when ever we stop .This guys wife will only stay in fancy hotels and takes 2 hours to get ready to go and whines about everything . So she doesnt get invited to go anymore.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like both group riding and riding alone. I think riding alone is better unless you've found a group you really mesh with. For me, there are two parts of meshing with other riders:

1. Riding style: Does it fit mine?
How fast do they want to travel?
How far do they want to travel?
How many hours per day do they want to travel?
How long do they want to travel before taking a break?
How long of a break do you get when you do stop?
How do they ride in a group?
Do they take unnecesary chances?
Do they suit up before it rains or after rain has started and they're already wet?
Do they ride after dark? How fast?
Do they want to burn up interstate or prefer the scenic two-lane back roads?

2. The hang
At the end of the day are they guys I want to hang out with?
Are they fun?
Do they drink too much?
Do they abuse substances?
Would I want to spend an evening with them if it wasn't for the motorcycles?
Can they play euchre?

I'm lucky to have two friends that are compatible on enough of the above, but not all of the above. We do a couple of week long tours with each other every year, and it's mostly good and a lot of fun. Nevertheless, I can't go for an entire week's tour with these guys without finding few things that begin to get under my skin.

That said, I've never had a bad ride by myself when I am totally master of my own fate, and have no need to compromise with others.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony P
1) If your favorite song is, "The More I Drink" by Blake Shelton, then you can ride with me.
2) If you leave your wife at home so your girlfriend can ride with you, then you can ride with me.
3) If you've ever rushed the stage during a wet t-shirt contest, you can ride with me.
4) If you've ridden hundreds of miles in freezing rain, 100 degree heat or any other type of foul weather just to have a beer with a stranger, then you can ride with me.
5) If you've ever warbled a Celine Dion song on karaoke night... and you're straight - You're warped, so you can ride with me.
I'm sorry man. There's no way I can do Celine Dion.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about getting your two friends to compromise? Get the BMW guy, and the Iron Horse guy, to agree to ride only 6 hours a day, and have everyone agree to spend the other 6 hours looking at breasts only half way past their prime, while getting mildly inebriated....there's got to be some middle ground.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOur best bet might be alocal hog chapter and see if you can meet someone there and breakout of the group. I had a riding partner, but had an issue and really chat veru little now(long story). I can get time off to ride, but most people can't. I'd say were in the same boat as far as riding styles. I like to do longer rides, but not bust my ***** getting there. I'm not a big drinker, so getting hammered is not my style. However I do like window shopping, nothing wrong with that. I wish my wife was into it more, because we do have the time off, but that's not her style. Actually she gives me all the freedom in the world to just disappear. Funny, you grow old and sometimes a part. I tool my sister out for her B-day (64) and she could believe my wife doesn't say lets pack a bag and go.Funny the trips you mentioned were the ones I wanted to do, I have use of a condo in Vegas, a good buddy in NM and I'm dying for a burger at the burger joint in Memphis, which is called Dyers. Actually that would be a good ride, Memphis to NM to Vegas and the home. I also want to do Moose Jaw SK Canada.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow, a lot more responces than I expected! I never got this kind of interest from any of those dating sites!

I have had a couple of local guys PM me interested in a ride or two, so very cool.

I will also consider looking at the local HOG chapter, I was thinking of trying to connect with the local blue nights club as well. (23 years Military Police)

Quick Reply: Just can't find the right riding buddies!