General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just can't find the right riding buddies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
I have two good friends that I ride with, but frankly ever since moving south I haven't been able to find somebody that matches my riding style.

I have a buddy that rides a BMW. He is a number of years older then me and his idea of a good time is 12+ hours on the bike a nice dinner, bed and then back on the bike for another 12+. He is currently out on a three week tour that will take him over to the Sierra Nevada's and then North into Canada. Sounds like a good ride, but a little too intense for me.

I have another buddy, he is a younger guy that rides an Iron Horse. His idea of a good time is trailering his bike to a state park, hanging out, drinking heavily and looking at breasts that for the most part tend to be past their prime. I go from time to time, but frankly the scene is getting a little old.

If i could just merge the two! I have a couple of rides I want to take...

-I want to take a long weekend and ride down to New Orleans. Ride some and then hang out on Bourbon Street for a night or two.

-I also would love to ride over to Sante Fe, NM and then through the mountains North into Colorado.

-And for a big ride! West to Vegas hitting all the big sites along the way.

I am taking a week off later this summer and instead of adjusting my style to everyone around me, I am going to take a trip the way I want to - I am going to go alone!

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. I just thought I would commiserate!

That is soo funny.....!
Yup you have a problem here...
Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I must just be incredibly lucky. Most of the guys I ride with like to ride pretty much the same as I do, or vice versa. We like to meet up about 9am Saturday morning and ride most of the day. Stopping for breaks/lunch and returning home after putting in a couple hundred miles of twisties and some highway miles. We get back around 4 or 5 then have a few (or more) beers. Over night rides are pretty much the same, just that we each get a hotel room and add another day or two of riding. There's not much better than beer and boobies, just save 'em for after the ride IMHO.

Hopefully you will find some riding partners that share your same style/interests.
Ok...I can't stand it anymore....The chick in your avatar...Is she saying "Back up please"

Sorry about the thread hijack.....here's some suggestions... Find a club or organization that may have some riders that "fit".

PGR
American Legion
Satan's Barbers
CMA

Etc, etc.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM
fortygeek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Group rides are OK for going to a spot, having lunch, and coming home. When I tour and put real miles on the bike, I do it alone.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdam
Ok...I can't stand it anymore....The chick in your avatar...Is she saying "Back up please"

Sorry about the thread hijack.....here's some suggestions... Find a club or organization that may have some riders that "fit".

PGR
American Legion
Satan's Barbers
CMA

Etc, etc.
I think she is saying "come on up and git some" Or is that just wishful thinking? lol

Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem. Only one of my buddies is semi-regular. He rides a VTX1800, which is a nice bike, but he's got his kids (divorced) and life so can't go out as much as I do. My other buddies ride sport bikes and can't go for more than 30 minutes without stopping and waddling around. They buzz me like mosquitos out on the road but it's all good. One of my sportbike buddies just got a big Yamaha Royal Star, but every time I want to ride it just doesn't work for some reason or another. I think he's afraid of the new bike.

I've been trying to find some new buddies to ride with and hangout, party, road trip and all. I'd really like something close knit, like a serious riding club or even an MC (not 1%).

Last edited by Joe Diver; 07-23-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by fortygeek
Group rides are OK for going to a spot, having lunch, and coming home. When I tour and put real miles on the bike, I do it alone.
Me too, and lovin it

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.explodingdog.com/dumbpict51/goodpie.gif

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several friends we ride with, most we have know for 20 or 30 years. Several of them have riding habits that don't mesh with ours but we know that when we go on a ride with them so we adjust. When we go on a big ride like to Sturgis, we just ask the ones that's riding is more like ours.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you a member of your local HOG chapter. Ours does all types of rides and I've met some really nice people. You can always hook up with a few riders that match your style. give it a try.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Log me into the "I like to ride alone" camp. I do enjoy riding with my son and a couple of his friends, but I'm retired and on week days I may jump on the bike and go somewhere. I don't have to wait around for anyone, stop or go as I please and change destinations on a whim. I sometimes get onto some pretty lonesome back roads and an accident would leave me stranded for a long time till someone came by if my cell phone didn't work, but all told I like just me and my bike and the road ahead.

Attached Thumbnails Just can't find the right riding buddies!-chelanride2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just can't find the right riding buddies!