General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just can't find the right riding buddies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

I've got just a few friends that I care to ride with, but really prefer to go alone -- set my own pace and route, change both at my whim, stop as I please, go when I'm ready.

However, my wife tends to worry more now when I'm on the road alone (she keeps pointing out that I'm not as young as I used to be!), even though I try to keep her informed about my whereabouts and plans, so I do sometimes at least try to organize some company. Last such ride I was accompanied by one friend on a Honda, another on a Moto-Guzzi, and we rode up to Huntsville, AL, for a BMW rally. Next month I'll be riding up to Sturgis South (MS) in the company of one Kawasaki, one Honda, one Yamaha, and one Harley (beside my FLSTN) -- at least we're good at diversity (!)

Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That's one of lifes many adventures the different people you meet on your journey.Some of the best riding buddies I ever rode with have changed their riding style.That's okay they understand when needing to stretch my legs every so often.Learn to enjoy your rides alone more it's what life is all about.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I guess I'm lucky my wife rides. Some days we'll leave at 9 or 10 AM, ride a couple hours, have lunch ride a while longer. We do weekend trips and week long vacation rides. Some days I or she will ride with other friends or alone.
I will admit that when riding alone I feel the "freedom" a lot more.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have two people i ride with and they're down on long island so they come up to meet me every few months. between those rides i pretty much ride alone and i prefer it that way. there's one guy i ride with at work every now and again but he's a goofball, more about posing and showing off places and that isn't my style at all, i like to go where the large pack of bikers aren't.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 AM
FXSTCRYDR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to ride both, alone and in groups. Both have their pros and cons. Just enjoy each for what they provide, and pick-em as you need too.

I do prefer solo time though, more relaxing and Zen-Like IMO. The blank brain, no thinking, listen to the engine zone is my happy place.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is it me or do large packs of weekend warrior bikers look ridiculous? i can't help but think of that south park episode when i see these packs of 15 suburban warriors all dressed in the pirate gear on brand new bikes cruising around.

anyway the large packs cause issues because there's always some douchnozzle trying to "take control" and "lead the group", drives me nuts, it's the antithesis of why i bought a bike.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride for the peace and tranquility, and to be able to change my mind as the ride goes on. I don't want someone with me to mess that up, it is a wonderful thing.

Then again, I have always been a loner. The more you trust people, the more you are let down, and the more trouble you can have.

Just ride!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of the time my riding buddy is my son. Guess since I taught him to ride, our styles are similiar. There are a couple of friends who ride with us from time to time but both of them can be very wishy - washy. Fine one day and a PITA the next.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 AM
drifter27011
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I ride for the peace and tranquility, and to be able to change my mind as the ride goes on. I don't want someone with me to mess that up, it is a wonderful thing.

Then again, I have always been a loner. The more you trust people, the more you are let down, and the more trouble you can have.

Just ride!

My style also, very seldom make a overnite trip with other people.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I rode a 2900 mile trip to NC and back in April. One of the best rides that I was ever on

Quick Reply: Just can't find the right riding buddies!