General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs Ultimate vs C&C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010 | 08:21 AM
cdculbertson
|
Tourer

Yeah, the Heritage and RK are two different bikes for sure. My wife also hates the stock pillion, and I don't blame her as it looks darn near as uncomfortable as the rider seat! I have been using an Airhawk, which worked for me for a bit, however a few days ago I noticed that my *** starts hurting on shorter and shorter rides. I had to stop and walk around after 50 miles this past Saturday! We decided then that we needed to start researching seats again.

Old 07-14-2010 | 11:46 AM
cigarowens
Tourer
Default Comfortable seat

I have the Ultimate on my Fay Boy and love it. I have had eight freinds (or friends of friends) go with the Ultimate Seat (Ultra's, Road Kings, Softails, Gold Wings, etc.) and all are very happy with the seats.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy a factory seat.

Old 07-14-2010 | 11:59 AM
Johnny Dangerously
Advanced

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
i've been looking at seats also.. from what i see, HD has the better price for once and you know it will fit.. well hopefully, see my thread about seats..

the harley dealer will order a seat for me, let me install it and ride the bike around the parking lot and if i don't like it i don't have to buy it.. you're not gonna get that aftermarket..
This is true, but a couple of things to consider here:

1. Don't know about the others, but Mustang Seats are fitted for specific models, so they will fit.

2. You're not gonna know whether the seat is going to work by just riding it around the parking lot - you need to take it on a long ride before you know for sure.

3. I bought an HD Sundowner seat for my RKC thinking it would be better than stock and because it had the RKC weave on it, but after a trip to CO and several trips to AR on that seat I decided I needed a better seat, I just dropped $400 on a new Mustang seat. I had a Mustang on the Dyna when I bought it and decided I liked the Mustang feel, so I went with one for my RKC. It's far and away more comfortable than the Sundowner. I'll admit I haven't done a long trip on it yet, but I've been on long trips with the Dyna and the Mustang seat on that is awesome for long trips.

4. If HD has a better price on something I'm always suspicious, but then I'm just cynical like that...

Haven't had experience with the other two manufacturers, but Mustang is the bomb.

Last edited by Johnny Dangerously; 07-14-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 12:14 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously
You know your last name's an adverb?

Old 07-14-2010 | 12:19 PM
Johnny Dangerously
Advanced

Originally Posted by '05Train
You know your last name's an adverb?
Ahhh..... another fan I see... excellent movie that...

Last edited by Johnny Dangerously; 07-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 08:45 PM
rjohn61987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdculbertson
Thanks folks. So, while I had almost forgotten about it, the Sundowner is another one to add to the list. I keep hearing good things about that seat...

SG1, that's good information about the Mustang solo digging into your thighs, and that would definitely be a turnoff. Not meaning to pry, but are you a big guy? I am kind of thin, with not a lot of padding. Well, other than my belly that is.

FWIW, I am around 5' 10" tall with a 30" inseam. I can pretty well plant both feet on the ground with the stock seat and would like to keep it that way.
I have the C&C Sport Tour w/gel and driver backrest. I, too, have minimal butt, and the C&C is a mite firm. I do like it better than the stock seat on my WG, as it sits about one inch lower. I also had them build it to move me two inches forward for my 30" inseam.

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:52 PM
cdculbertson
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the comments. Yesterday I ordered the Sport Tour in black leather with blue tribal flame stitching. Chuck was really great to work with; extremely helpful, and emailed me tons of pictures to help me make up my mind. I didn't think to have him move me forward, but I figure that if this seat moves me back an inch, I will still be OK.