General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver for vacation....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Adacas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend the Circle Tour
or the Duffy Lake Loop

The circle tour takes in some awesome scenery and some great twisting roads along the coastal mainland. Take the ferry from Powell River to Comox on Vancouver Island. The trip from Comox to Nanaimo I've shown is the main Island Hwy but much more scenic and a bit slower if instead you take the old hwy and take in Qualicum Beach

Last edited by Adacas; 07-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Okay, maybe DinoVelvet is correct about the length of the ferry ride. We also had to take a bus and it just seemed like a huge amount of wasted time. The nest time we took a float plane, but kind of pricey. However, I still don't think you can fix a breakfast for ****. I think the Buchart Gardens(don't know about spelling) was worth a look. DV can probably tell you more as this is a huge flower garden and may not be your thing. I'm from Texas, but be prepared, every Canadian speaks with an accent. No worries eh

Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Adacas
Cruiser

August 02/10 is a civic holiday for us so traffic around ferry terminals will be busy on that long weekend. Fortunately motorcycles are always assured loading and are first on and first off (other vehicles may have to wait 1 or 2 sailings with long lineups).

Keep in mind also many areas on Vancouver Island have deer problems. My bro in Nanaimo has 15 or so on his lawn several times a day, and that's in the middle of town. In Comox I once had to stop 3 times in a 1/4 mile stretch to let deer with fawns go by. Also in middle of town. Friggen things are everywhere.

Like DV says there are too many awsome rides around here to mention.

Last edited by Adacas; 07-10-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
It's nice, true, but you'll end up wasting valuable time on the ferries. Stick with your Whistler plan. It's a truly beautiful hour and 50 minute ride one way with lots of places to eat up there and lots of places to take pictures from.
On a nice day the ferries are the best part of the trip. They often will slow down so you can view the pods of whales going by
Mind you, the stupid bald eagles tend to get in the way of views from time to time

Last edited by hornhonker; 07-11-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I believe the O.P. said he was getting the bike for a day

so all these suggestions are probably mute. Unless that is, he takes the bike for longer. A trip to the island on the ferries would eat up almost half his day just sitting on the ferry.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Isn't the ferry 1hr 40 min. one way?

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
the Ferry does not take HOURS one way.....the Departure Bay/Horseshoe Bay crossing is a titch over an hour..end up in Nanaimo...ride to Victoria over the Malahat...and catch the Swartz Bay/ Tsawwassen ferry back to the mainland.....a really cool day trip..and no there is no alcohol on them but if you happen to have a 6-pack in your saddlebags and your discrete...you can stay on the car deck by your bike and enjoy one while looking out over the water....if your not an ******* the ferry crew is pretty cool with you
Doesn't give the guy much riding time. Sure it's a nice day trip but it doesn't even come close to a Whistler ride. Besides, isn't the Malahat slow going in a lot of places with traffic?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Okay, maybe DinoVelvet is correct about the length of the ferry ride. We also had to take a bus and it just seemed like a huge amount of wasted time. The nest time we took a float plane, but kind of pricey. However, I still don't think you can fix a breakfast for ****. I think the Buchart Gardens(don't know about spelling) was worth a look. DV can probably tell you more as this is a huge flower garden and may not be your thing. I'm from Texas, but be prepared, every Canadian speaks with an accent. No worries eh
LMAO!!!! no we can't do breakfasts worth a ****...yer right..

Butchart Gardens has fireworks every saturday night during the summer...pretty cool place but it's becoming pricey at roughly $25 per person just to get into the park....but a nice place to stretch your legs....expect to be there about 2 or so hours if you walk the whole gardens..and they have a place to grab some drinks and some grub too....these days the float plane is about equal to the cost of taking a car and 2 people on the ferry but the flight is 15 minutes....

and we DO NOT have accents!! you Mericans do!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Doesn't give the guy much riding time. Sure it's a nice day trip but it doesn't even come close to a Whistler ride. Besides, isn't the Malahat slow going in a lot of places with traffic?
nah..the Malahat's not too bad..but when you hit Langford then ***** starts slowing down..

Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Oh my god! You guys are killing me! I should have rented it for a week but my funds won't allow it. Gotta take the kids white water rafting and other stuff. Thanks for everyones input. Probably gonna stick to the Whistler plan for now. Its just gonna be amazing riding somewhere other than here in Missouri. Just 3 weeks away! I can't wait. thanks again.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by walkerinin
My only suggestion would be to rent the bike for more than one day. I have to think the riding in Canada in august would be amazing!
I would like to rent it for more than a day but I'm taking my two daughters with me and I need to do some kid stuff. I was there back in '02 but didn't rent a bike. My mother in law lives up there so we visit her about every 5 years. Thinkin about making this a habit.

Quick Reply: Vancouver for vacation....