General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: I'm losing interest in riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:19 PM
grmnchsr
|
1st Gear
Unhappy Help: I'm losing interest in riding

I'm 47 and have been riding since I was 16. I've had a few HDs and now my wife and I each have 09 street glides. A recent multiple motorcycle crash, in nearby in Lancaster co, Pa. took the lives of 5 riders. I was kinda losing interest in riding before this happened and now I have no desire to ride. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:23 PM
Fulano
Cruiser

Sorry to hear that. Actually, kinda the opposite affected me.

My brother got in an accident last year on his bike. He was very lucky with minor injuries. It made us all want to go back and do that same ride over without incident. So we did. We're all safer now because of it. Hope your feeling changes!

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:27 PM
hansman
Intermediate

I feel your pain. BTDT The site of a mc crash can be brutal on your mind. I would take the bike out on a less traveled road. Just you and the road. No thinking of what if etc. Try and get back to the "hey this is the greatest feeling" zone. Remember why you liked to ride in the 1st place. One thing you cant do is think about it while you ride.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:29 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

That's rough. I've had a couple of days like that and I've only been back in the saddle for a couple of months. Stories like that can really mess with your mindset. I try not to read them anymore. I know that if your hearts not in it that can be a dangerous place to be. Best remedy I can think of is an early morning ride on a nice day. But if you were already losing your interest maybe fate is trying to tell you something.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:32 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Just sell them and move on for awhile.You must have other interests.You might decide to ride again later.Lots of fun trying to decide what you will ride next.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:33 PM
grmnchsr
|
1st Gear

Thanks so much for the info. I'm hoping time will change my mind.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:36 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, that is a very personal decision. Back in the early 80's I had a real bad summer, three good friends crashed all in one summer. The first survived skidding down the road and impaling (yes, impaling) himself on a fire hydrant hose cap. They fixed the hole in his chest and he was in the hospital well into winter. The second I was witness to, six bikes going down the road when a semi coming at us with his right signal on made a left turn in front of us. The two lead bikes went down, one went under, the other hit the rear tractor tire nice and square. He didn't make it. Then, to top it off, my neighbor and friend since high school was coming home one night and a deer popped out in front of him. A farmer found him the next morning while he was mowing his ditch. It was a tough year and when spring came I had some thoughts similar to yours. I rode less that year and of course, was pretty paranoid sometimes, but time heals and I'm still riding today, as much as ever. It's a tough decision but you'll make the right one for you.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:37 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Time for a long road trip to a place you have never been! I'm so jelous. When I got my first Harley my wife was pushing me to get it but once I got it she found out she hates riding and the minimilist aditude (she cant bring very much stuff with her) and she doesnt like not having the pertection of the car and doesnt like the wind in her hair. It sucks I would love to travel around with my wife on her own scoot. But I am forced to take friends (local collage girls) around for day tips on my scoot instead Like Hansman said you need to fall in love with it agian.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:38 PM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain

Had a rider lose his nerve after seeing a MC accident. He up and sold his bike and has never looked back. I can't imagine not riding or losing my nerve. I've been cut off and had to lay the bike down to stop from t-boning a car. But I got back on.

My dad always said, everyone goes down once on a motorcycle son.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:44 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

In a word.... NO....

Lots of people lose their life each day.... some through their own stupidity, others are 'innocent victims"

I'm sorry to read about ANY loss of life.... but it doesn't really effect MY view point.
I DO respect your loss of interest.

It's up to you, and you alone (with input from your wife). Should you decide to sell the bike and equipment.... I salute your honesty, and support your decision.

good luck,

Quick Reply: Help: I'm losing interest in riding