General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: I'm losing interest in riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010 | 07:27 AM
cadman311
Club Member

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4290907

I work with a worker that bring me parts of Pennsylvania papers about bike crashes. In every story from there news in that state they have all bad thing to say about a person that rides a bike. They are trying to change laws with there news reports. It's not about the crash at all it's make people look down on the biker in there news report. And how to make change in there laws.

Last edited by cadman311; 07-09-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 07:41 AM
cadman311
Club Member

It's bike week and paper put out there BS

Here a biker reply to this:

Ok, I'm going to share what I wrote to the Gettysburg Chamber of Commerce, just in case anyone else may want to send them some correspondence: Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the Gettysburg Chamber of Commerce, The purpose of this correspondence is to convey my heartfelt disappointment over the fact that a business withiin your city limits known as The Pike will not be able to host the band Poison Whiskey during this year's Gettysburg Bike Week festivities. Each year, thousands of motorcycle enthuiasts flock to your fine city to share in the activities that occur during this very special weekend for the population and businesses in the greater Gettysburg area and The Pike has been one of the businesses that has shown the utmost hospitality to visiting bikers. Unfortunately, this ordinance does hamstring their efforts to replicate the ultimate 'feel-good' experience of years past. As someone who has served with honor in the United States Navy for the last 19 1/2 years to uphold and defend our democratic way of life as well as a proud lifelong resident of the state of Pennsylvanina, I find it particularly troublesome when certain liberties are curtailed because of possible misperceptions about the biking community as a whole or that such an activity such as an outdoor concert can be seen as prejudicial to good order and discipline. I do not wish to imply that your decision was made hastily and with any type of malice towards the biking community as a whole, but I do see that the businesses within Gettysburg as unneccesarily paying for a crime that they did not commit. When I think of term Chamber of Commerce, I understand it to mean a body or organization of individuals who are charged with looking out for the interests of the businesses within a community. This ordinance seems to have the opposite effect on businesses such as The Pike. In these very dire economic times, it is hard enough for businesses to keep their heads above water without having to deal with laws and ordinances that further complicate their efforts. I implore this association to do what it can to stem this disturbing trend of ordinances that may be well-meaning, but only end up dealing a severe blow to the economic survival of this historic city. Respectfully submitted, Scott Cromer

Old 07-09-2010 | 08:59 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

You've got a lot of advice already, but I'll still put in my two cents. And that is, wait til at least next summer to sell the bikes. See how you feel next May or June.

Old 07-09-2010 | 09:53 AM
DanD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tacomajoe501
Like some else said could it be your not happy with your style of bike? Seriously. I bought a bike three years ago that I was not happy with after some miles on it. At the time I felt 40 yrs plus you needed bags and windsheilds etc. Didn't like it after all and in 3 yr I put about 4500 miles on it. In April I traded it in on a 09 FXSTC and cant ride enough put 2500 miles in a couple of months. No bags, wind shield, and I got my footpegs back lol. I feel like I did at 14 on my kawasaki 175 street trail, independent and free. I bike is different things to different people. That's what a bike is about. Be true to yourself and your nature. The country is full of used bikes with less then 1000 miles from people that thought they wanted one and found out it wasnt for them. GL in your decision.
it very well could be style of bike...try a demo ride on a dyna,and see what you think.I kinda went thru the same thing when I got divorced,barley rode a couple thousand miles a year for awhile,until I realized I was actually ashamed of what I was riding,and had that particular bike for my ex wife,not for me.Bought a dyna and proceeded to ride 20k per year for several years.

Old 07-09-2010 | 09:55 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grmnchsr
I'm 47 and have been riding since I was 16. I've had a few HDs and now my wife and I each have 09 street glides. A recent multiple motorcycle crash, in nearby in Lancaster co, Pa. took the lives of 5 riders. I was kinda losing interest in riding before this happened and now I have no desire to ride. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
My interest wanes from time to time, but the truth is I have other interests besides riding. I also scuba dive and fly. Doing other things also allows me the freedom to ride whenever I get the urge. My bike is paid for, so it's not as though I'm making payments on a toy that I'm not using.

If you think you've lost all interest in riding and want to recoup some of your investment on those two bikes, or just to get rid of monthly payments, I'd suggest selling the bikes. Ever considered taking up flying? You can visit just about any airport in the USA that offers flying lessons and take a discovery/demo flight in a Cessna 172, or something similiar to get a feel for it. You will go up with an instructor and will be allowed to fly the plane. It's a great way to see if it's something you'd enjoy doing.

Here's a pic of what I fly.

Attached Thumbnails Help: I'm losing interest in riding-dsc_0004_edited.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:08 AM
FXSTCRYDR
Cruiser

As with anything in life, if you can't do it with 100% effort, and a clear mindset don't bother doing it. Take a break, sell the rides. Don't worry the MoCo will make more if you decide to get back into it later

I have been in and out of several decade long interests, and it is always bittersweet to say goodbye to something you have done for 20-25 years.

In time you will realize if you made the right decision, if so good, if not get back on the horse and ride...

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:14 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

My friend's wife was killed a couple months ago riding 2-up, he barely survived. They are the same age as my wife and I as well as their two kids are in high school with mine. I feel you. I listened to what a lot of guys on this forum were saying, and they're right. You can't live life in a box. I am back in the saddle and, suprisingly, enjoy it more now than ever. You can die unexpectedly from literally thousands of things you never even think of. To quit riding doesn't guarentee you will live any longer. I really thought about this for a long time. I'm not going to give up one of the few things in life that I really enjoy doing.

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:22 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grmnchsr
I'm 47 and have been riding since I was 16. I've had a few HDs and now my wife and I each have 09 street glides. A recent multiple motorcycle crash, in nearby in Lancaster co, Pa. took the lives of 5 riders. I was kinda losing interest in riding before this happened and now I have no desire to ride. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I had a similar experience. I was in my car and came upon an automobile crash with multiple fatalities. I haven't driven my car since. I haven't been interested in my car for quite a while anyway just no desire to drive one. Ride the bike all the time. I do miss the heat and a/c though?

Old 07-09-2010 | 11:01 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I get there myself a couple times a year with my thoughts scarring the hell out of me.
FWIW I'm 48 and have been riding since 12. I've never been off motorcycles except for a year after my daughter was born - thinking it was too dangerous.
My usual remedy is to ride through it, after I've calmed myself down. I can't see myself not riding, but I am realistic enough to know, that you never know, what life will throw at you. And that a clear head is a requirement to safe riding.
Bottom line - you're the only one who can figure this out.