General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: I'm losing interest in riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:14 PM
grmnchsr
|
1st Gear

There are very few places in Pa that I haven't been. State College is by far one of my favorites.

Old 07-08-2010 | 03:41 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

It's OK to step away for a while. Clear your head. Nothing wrong with that.

My hunch is that, if you have been riding 30 years, the desire will return and you will be back on the road shortly after that happens and enjoying it more than ever. Good Luck

Old 07-08-2010 | 04:43 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Lots of good advice being given, not much I can add. I would definitely agree to hold onto the bikes for a while and see what happens.

I've been riding some form of motorcycle (still do dirt and within the past few years, added cruiser riding) for 41 years this summer. Frankly, I really can't imagine my life without bikes in it. However, there have been times in the past the bikes would sit for months without getting ridden, not so much from apprehension, but more a situation of time commitments or a time consuming passing interest that fizzles. So, I've learned the biking is a constant in my life. Long ago I thus decided: Keep bikes around. As for riding, some ride as long as they can, others ride for a season, the move onto something else. If it's in your blood, you'll ride again. If not, well... that's not the end of the world, only a closing of a long chapter in your life. Time will reveal to you which is the case in your life.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:09 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're losing interest, maybe you should not sell your bike, but park your bike in the garage for the rest of the season. In the spring, don't take the bike out but listen to the other Harleys as they drive by you. It's quite possible that the music they make will get you excited about riding again. I know in the past when I've been between bikes, the sound of a nice Harley in the spring always got to me.

When my kids were younger I would get paranoid about going down (again) and worried about what would happen to them if I did. I even did get rid of one bike because of it, however, I'm a firm believer that if riding is in you, there is nothing you can do about it.

Best of luck with your decision. I'm sure it isn't an easy one.

Last edited by JakeInMa; 07-08-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2010 | 05:10 PM
99superglide
Tourer

It's because your too young to be on a bagger. Buy a Dyna and rediscover the fun of riding. Seriously though I understand what your saying but if I never did another thing that someone in my lifetime has lost their life doing I'd never be able to leave the house. Hold on, some have even lost their life because they never left home. Those that live life afraid of dying never really live.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:15 PM
madden23
Road Master

I went a long spell without a bike, started a new business, and finances were tight, bike had to go.
8 yrs. later got another bike. Take a break from it, the itch will most likely come back, so don't sell too quickly.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:21 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Gotta do what ya gotta do. As others have said, it's a personal choice and ultimately up to you. Maybe you just need a short break from it.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:39 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

No, but we all understand. If you're burned out and the urge to ride doesn't come back, sell the bikes.

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:56 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

I say if you aren't comfortable doing it anymore for whatever reason or you aren't getting enjoyment from it then it's probably time to move on to something else. I have a friend who was diagnosed with Parkinsons and was worried about riding. He rode more than anyone I've ever met but he sold his bike and bought a hot rod. Never looked back and seems to get just as much enjoyment hanging with his hot rod buddies and going to car shows etc than he did riding and going to bike rallys. Maybe just change it up - buy a muscle car, a ski boat or whatever and take it from there.

Good Luck

Old 07-08-2010 | 05:56 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

Riding definitely has some inherent risk and I don’t think anyone will disagree that cell phones, congestion, etc. have made conditions less friendly. I was visiting at my local dealer’s shop the other day that were extremely busy repairing wrecks. Only you can decide if the joy of riding out weighs your concerns.

Quick Reply: Help: I'm losing interest in riding