General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: I'm losing interest in riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:23 PM
grmnchsr
|
1st Gear
Default Losing interest

I don't think scared has as much to do with it as disgusted does. My 1st rule of riding is to get away from the area we live in. Not one weekend goes by that our local paper doesn't have a motorcycle crash in it. Too many cars not enough roads if you know what I mean.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:24 PM
never say never
Tourer

if you dont feel like riding anymore its ok to quit.But its not ok to use lame excuses such as an accident hell you could gethit by a car walking in the crooss walk.come on man up and quit or man up and ride.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:27 PM
MISFIT456
Outstanding HDF Member

Be honest with your self! If you are over it, then get rid of the bikes....no shame in being truthful to yourself! Also no sense in riding if you are always second guessing yourself ( I didn't say scared ), you will only compound the every day near misses and either hurt youself or someone else.......JMO. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:28 PM
paud
Road Master

I think your a smart man to recognize whats going on with you. Not riding now is a good decision.
No one here can tell you what to do. But like you stated, perhaps some opinions.
For the price you paid for the bikes, I would keep them for now and evaluate and re-evaluate how you feel.
Give yourself all the time YOU need. Dont force it. In the end know that no matter what anyone else says, you have to live with you (and wife) and no one else.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:28 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

Maybe take an advanced rider course. Just working on skills can rebuild confidence. If you still have the feeling of disinterest then sell.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:34 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Only you can make the decision to keep riding or not. However, I will say that I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell the bikes...just 'cause they're there, doesn't mean ya gotta ride 'em. If this is just a passing thing, and you decide to get back in the saddle in the not too distant future, you will have taken a financial hit for nothing. Park the bikes...take a break for a while...and, then make the decision on selling or not. Just my .02.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:36 PM
grmnchsr
|
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. Hadn't thought about taking the course but I will sign up.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I had a major crash in late '01. Actually thought about giving it all up for a day or two. It was a long and difficult road back, but now, I enjoy it more than I ever did. Do what ya have to do. Wouldn't be a thing wrong with you if ya never rode again. The world will go on, and so will you.

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:01 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

Hopefully you can work your way through it. Best of luck.

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:06 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

I noticed in your profile that you work for Harley in York. Maybe that's the issue - you're around bikes pretty much 24/7. Maybe park the bikes until the spring and take up another hobby for awhile to see if you're still interested once the snow thaws... I'm surprised you can't find any places to ride that aren't congested - there's a lot of farm country around York.... Have you made any trips up to State College? There's a ton of riding around there and the traffic is minimal (I went to school there and have family in Huntingdon)

Quick Reply: Help: I'm losing interest in riding