General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: I'm losing interest in riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:45 PM
Denny69
Road Captain

Sell yours and keep the wives. Just in case you get the fever.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:46 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

http://www.explodingdog.com/dumbpict51/goodpie.gif

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-27-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:53 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Since you seem to have so much doubt about riding right now, it may be best to step away because that doubt will inevitably get you hurt if you continue to ride.

Like others have said, the decision is between you and your wife.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:02 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior

Sell it now. Scared riders shouldn't ride, you're dangerous !!!

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:05 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Just sell them and move on for awhile.You must have other interests.You might decide to ride again later.Lots of fun trying to decide what you will ride next.
Our interests change. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:09 PM
lfmn16
Tourer

Originally Posted by grmnchsr
I'm 47 and have been riding since I was 16. I've had a few HDs and now my wife and I each have 09 street glides. A recent multiple motorcycle crash, in nearby in Lancaster co, Pa. took the lives of 5 riders. I was kinda losing interest in riding before this happened and now I have no desire to ride. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I was hit by a truck three years ago while on my Ultra. One month in the hospital, six operations and three years of physical therapy later I'm riding again, although my leg will never be right again. I took two years off to think about it, but eventually I was more unhappy not riding than I was scared of getting back on. The funny thing is that I never worry about getting in another accident while I'm actually on the bike, although I think about it occasionally when I'm not riding.

My advice is to sell the bikes, take some time off and see if you miss it.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:17 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

All good advice to sell and step away for a while to see if the passion comes back. After my wreck, I could not wait to get the bike back and ride again. I'll admit though, riding through the accident area the first time and having cages do almost exactly the same thing as caused the wreck nearly freaked me out. I went home in a cold sweat, sat a while and went right back and rode through there again and again that day, maybe 20 times. After that I went through the same area 3 or 4 times each day until one day I no longer thought about the wreck and knew I was cured.

Best of luck with your decisiion. I do agree with one other poster. If you're sacred right now, you're a danger to yourself and others.

Bub

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:17 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by grmnchsr
I'm 47 and have been riding since I was 16. I've had a few HDs and now my wife and I each have 09 street glides. A recent multiple motorcycle crash, in nearby in Lancaster co, Pa. took the lives of 5 riders. I was kinda losing interest in riding before this happened and now I have no desire to ride. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
You may be citing two separate things that may not be related at all - the disenchantment with your own riding and the crash in PA. These two may be related but then again they may not.

You may have just gotten the bike out of your system by riding it enough to make it boring. I admit 30 years is a long time but some guys just get finished riding and go on to other things. I don't have any problem with somebody stopping riding if that is what they want. I don't think stopping riding for fear is a good thing and would recommend staying on if that were the case. That would run deeper than just getting past the fun of riding it.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:20 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

If you have truly lost the desire to ride, then hang it up. The experiences of knowing about crashes or having known someone that died in a crash can be pretty devastating in some cases. It's very difficult to give advice in situations like this. Motivation or the lack of motivation to ride any longer is a personal feeling and choice. Keep in mind that there are a lot more people killed in cager crashes that there are on motorcycles. It's true that it a lot easier to get hurt or killed on a motorcycle but if you've been riding for a long time, and you're like the most of us, you may want to take a break from riding for a while and see how you feel about it later.

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:21 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Take some time to make the decision. I wouldn't sell the bike right away.......6 months or a year from now you may decide you can't live without riding.

Quick Reply: Help: I'm losing interest in riding