General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different kind of road hazzard!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:30 AM
walkerinin
|
Road Master
Default A different kind of road hazzard!

I just got back from a mini-vacation in Shipshewana, IN. (shopping trip for the wife - biggest stinkin flea market I ever saw!) She took the truck and I rode the bike. We rode around in the evening.
Shipshewana is Amish country. I would call this a one horse town except I saw about a million horse and buggy outfits. The Amish of course only use horse and buggy for transportation. It was kind of gross to encounter ... ahem...how do I say this?.... road apples? equine by product? HORSE CRAP! all over the road. (OK maybe not all over the road but it was a very frequent sight.) I think I missed running over any unsquished piles.
She got to shop and I got to ride. All in all, a pretty good anniversary.

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:36 AM
vtxxxr
Cruiser

Well, happy B-lated Anniversary!!! I know whaty you mean, when I go home to PA we have a large population of Amish/Menonite population...I avoid several "road apples" when I go there....

Gonna be interesting when we ride up next summer!! LOL

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:40 AM
road_king_rob
Tourer

The wife and I were on vacation a few years ago in our car. We were passing a cattle carrier and got splattered. Luckily we had the windows up. I'll just say I didn't have enough wiper fluid to do the job. I'm sure the driver got a good laugh!

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:47 AM
Keith4001r
Road Master

When my boys were young I told them to watch out for Amish car exhaust. Aah, Lancaster County, PA., gotta love it.

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:54 AM
porker
Cruiser

Cattle trucks are also bad (if fresh) as the cattle seem to all have the runs at once. Especially bad a on corners when the truck leans. Difficult to remove from bike when it dries.

Old 07-08-2010 | 11:48 AM
Scooterzs
2nd Gear
Red face

My wife and I have friends in Pontotoc, Mississippi, and they have alot of Amish there as well, What between the road landmines or getting caught behind one on a no-passing zone and alot of oncoming traffic. Can become quite annoying.....and we thought about moving there....once.

Old 07-08-2010 | 11:55 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm 30 minutes from horse and buggy country. Unfortunately there are lots of tourists who are way more dangerous than horse emissions, so I keep an eye out for both.

Old 07-08-2010 | 12:16 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer

Q. What goes clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop ... BANG! ... clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop?

A. An Amish drive-by shooting!

Old 07-08-2010 | 01:46 PM
walkerinin
|
Road Master

Q. Why don't the Amish play golf?

A. The horses tear up the greens.

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:13 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Hope you had a "happy" ending.

Quick Reply: A different kind of road hazzard!