General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Clothing (Textile/Mesh), What's Best??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I do like the thought of the "Draggin kevlar shirt" for more protection than just a long sleeve t-shirt. Might have to get me one of them, but for a little more cash a full mess jacket would be a better investment, IMHO.

For us USAF folks, AFI 91-207:

3.4.2.4. Personal Protection Equipment:
3.4.2.4.1. Head Protection. A helmet designed to meet or exceed Department of Transportation
(DOT) standards, shall be worn and properly fastened under the chin. Host nation equivalent
is acceptable if it meets or exceeds the DOT standard. Commanders may authorize use of
tactical helmets in appropriate off-road training or operating environments after completing an
ORM evaluation.
3.4.2.4.2. Eye Protection. Goggles, wrap around glasses, or a full-face shield (properly
attached to helmet) designed to meet or exceed American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Standard Z87.1 for impact and shatter resistance will be worn. A windshield does not constitute
proper eye protection. Host nation equivalent is acceptable if it meets or exceeds ANSI
Standard Z87.1 for impact and shatter resistance.
3.4.2.4.3. Protective Clothing. Wear of long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered
gloves are required.
Gloves should be sturdy, non-slip type to permit a firm grip on the
controls. Wear of a motorcycle jacket and pants constructed of abrasion resistant materials
such as leather, KevlarŽ, and/or CorduraŽ containing impact absorbing padding are strongly
encouraged.
3.4.2.4.4. Foot Protection. Riders will wear sturdy over the ankle footwear that affords protection
for the feet and ankles (durable athletic shoes that cover the ankles may be worn). Sandals,
low quarter sneakers, and similar footwear will not be used.
3.4.2.4.5. Garment and Motorcycle Visibility. Motorcycle riders will wear a brightly colored
outer upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night. Outer
upper garment shall be visible and not covered. Wearing a backpack is authorized if it has
brightly colored/reflective properties.

Ride Safe!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra GI
If you read the regulation, Army Regulation 190–5, OPNAV 11200.5D, AFI 31-218(I), MCO 5110.1D, DLAR 5720.1 no matter what branch of service, and all DoD civilians states:
c. All soldiers, DA civilians in a duty status, and all persons on a DA installation, must properly wear the personal protective equipment (PPE) listed below while operating or riding a motorcycle, (DODI 6055.4, paragraph E3.2.7.1). Army requirements reflect the DOD requirements discussed below except where differences are noted, (AR 385-55, Appendix B, paragraph B-3).
(1) A motorcycle helmet that meets standards established by the U.S Department of Transportation. The helmet must be fastened under the chin.
(2) Impact or shatter resistant goggles or full-faced shield properly attached to the helmet.
(3) Sturdy footwear. The Army specifically requires the wear of leather boots or over-the-ankle shoes, (AR 385-55, Appendix B, paragraph B-3e).
(4) Long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle.
- 4 -
(5) A brightly colored outer upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night.

So the reflective vest is only at night, as long as your long sleeve shirt is "bright". I know how commands can get, and for safety I would wear an armored mesh. With this heat I just wear my uniform with a Icon vest, or long sleeves with a vest.
That may be the reg but the base commander has the final say.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 07-12-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
Harley Charley,

Review some of the posts above like Jimmer's here...

With respect, I was stationed in DC from 2003-2008. Like jimmers1817 I wore a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor. They're excellent for the weather, but they provide decent coverage in case of falls. I also wore a full-face helmet, and found it cooler in the hottest weather than the half helmets - mine was a Shoei.

At least four other guys in the thread also mentioned that they wear mesh jackets with armor.

Concensus is where you find it. You can wear decent protective gear and still be cool. The armored mesh jackets provide a pretty good compromise. Joe Rocket isn't the only one, but they make a quality product.

Enjoy riding in the DC area. Try heading out to Skyline Drive in the Shenendoah Valley.

Doc
Not intending to start a dispute here, seriously, but my what I was trying to say in my last post was that the concensus was that the "mesh" provided good protection, however based on the way I perceived the people responses the "mesh" gear wasn't much cooler than what I'm already wearing currently which is Long Sleeve Cotton T-shirts and Denim Jeans.

If the mesh gear isn't going to allow a cooler temperature during my short 5 mile rides to and from work then it makes no sense for me to spend a few hundred bucks on mesh gear when what I have provides the same, if not better cooling. My max speed is 35 mph on this road with stop lights every .25 mile so it's not very often that I'll get up to speed enough to benefit from the "mesh".

Hope this clarifies where I was going with this.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
If the mesh gear isn't going to allow a cooler temperature during my short 5 mile rides to and from work then it makes no sense for me to spend a few hundred bucks on mesh gear when what I have provides the same, if not better cooling. My max speed is 35 mph on this road with stop lights every .25 mile so it's not very often that I'll get up to speed enough to benefit from the "mesh".
I take it you don't wear a uniform going back and fourth? Protective gear can also be worn on recreational rides.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
kabluie
Cruiser

In addition to the draggin shirt you may want to consider Diamond Gusset Jeans. They have kevlar in them too. They go for about a hundred bucks and they're made in America.

Here on the Oregon Coast it's finally gotten to warm enough to ride with gloves and a tee shirt. It's gotten up to 65 for mid day highs. Yahooo!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 AM
mhn254
Advanced

I have the First Gear mesh jacket with armour. I like the feel and zip out lining. It is very well made and you won't go wrong the the First Gear product.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There a lot of mesh jackets out there try not to get a nylon one they do not do well on road slid for protection. There many types of jackets with a kevlar built into the jacket which is much better protection. I like the kevlar liners or draggin jean. The kevlar shirt with the mesh jacket is a better protection and the air can flow in. The kevlar pants liners are mesh also they look like long johns. But not that hot.