General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Clothing (Textile/Mesh), What's Best??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Ultra GI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Ya problem though guys is I have to wear all the safety gear on base (I'm military) which means long sleeve, reflective devices on jacket, gloves, pants, over ankle shoes, helmet, etc.
If you read the regulation, Army Regulation 190–5, OPNAV 11200.5D, AFI 31-218(I), MCO 5110.1D, DLAR 5720.1 no matter what branch of service, and all DoD civilians states:
c. All soldiers, DA civilians in a duty status, and all persons on a DA installation, must properly wear the personal protective equipment (PPE) listed below while operating or riding a motorcycle, (DODI 6055.4, paragraph E3.2.7.1). Army requirements reflect the DOD requirements discussed below except where differences are noted, (AR 385-55, Appendix B, paragraph B-3).
(1) A motorcycle helmet that meets standards established by the U.S Department of Transportation. The helmet must be fastened under the chin.
(2) Impact or shatter resistant goggles or full-faced shield properly attached to the helmet.
(3) Sturdy footwear. The Army specifically requires the wear of leather boots or over-the-ankle shoes, (AR 385-55, Appendix B, paragraph B-3e).
(4) Long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle.
- 4 -
(5) A brightly colored outer upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night.

So the reflective vest is only at night, as long as your long sleeve shirt is "bright". I know how commands can get, and for safety I would wear an armored mesh. With this heat I just wear my uniform with a Icon vest, or long sleeves with a vest.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently started wearing an Under Armour Heat Gear Tech long sleeve tee ($24.99). It is much cooler than cotton. Perforated leather gloves are not too bad. I still wear cotton jeans and western boots. It's hot now unless you're moving fast no matter what you wear. As for your reflective vest, I have seen some that are mesh.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs............I take it the concensus don't wear riding gear then. Jeans and long sleeve moisture wicking shirts seem to be the theme.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a Tour Master Intake jacket, it's a mesh with armor plus rain and warmth liners. I'm in Florida and I wear it all summer to/from work. Too many idiots on the road and 2 small children. I want to be as safe as possible.

As for pants, I use First Gear HT Overpants. They're nice because they are lined, so you can wear shorts under them if you want. They breath pretty well and work in the rain. I'd like to buy their mesh pants though.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Harley Charley,

Review some of the posts above like Jimmer's here...

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
102 degree days like we've had this past week I'm wearing a t-shirt. Most other times I wear a mesh with armor jacket. Have 2. One is a Joe Rocket 5.0, the other is an HD something or other.
With respect, I was stationed in DC from 2003-2008. Like jimmers1817 I wore a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor. They're excellent for the weather, but they provide decent coverage in case of falls. I also wore a full-face helmet, and found it cooler in the hottest weather than the half helmets - mine was a Shoei.

At least four other guys in the thread also mentioned that they wear mesh jackets with armor.

Concensus is where you find it. You can wear decent protective gear and still be cool. The armored mesh jackets provide a pretty good compromise. Joe Rocket isn't the only one, but they make a quality product.

Enjoy riding in the DC area. Try heading out to Skyline Drive in the Shenendoah Valley.

Doc

Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Blue Horse
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I recently started wearing an Under Armour Heat Gear Tech long sleeve tee ($24.99). It is much cooler than cotton.
+1 On the Heat Gear. Try a pair of Heat gear shorts under your jeans they will make your seat fell much better as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mesh jacket and armor here too... Not sure about pants yet though. For now it will just be jeans, but I need to get something to offer more protection. I am new to Harley's, I come from sport bikes and I mostly just wore jeans a leather jacket on that for general commuting and then when we really went riding I was in full leather.

I am older now and more cautious and like Phrogman I have 2 small kids and want to be around as long as I can. Just have not made up my mind what I like as far as pants go. What do you guys like?? I was getting ready to start a thread about it, but thought I would ask here...

Phil

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Fieldsheer Mesh Jacket with armor.

I'd look into getting a mesh jacket with Ballistic Nylon (I believe that is the name of it) and armor. A friend of mine has one. I think it is manufactured by Vanson.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Cellular
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a HD mesh jacket for hot weather. Works great and I have armor pads on order.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I were a Vanson perforated leather jacket, Fox Creek leather chaps, Arai Astral-X, HD Gortex boots and the HD reflective vest. I only get really warm when I stop. I also ar Under Armour underwear and typically an Under Armour heat gear t-shirt. I grew up in DC and the weather does not really bother me. (I only change my jacket from season to season.)

(I am at Belvoir.)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Clothing (Textile/Mesh), What's Best??