General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 3 days and nights at Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Clocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 3 days and nights at Sturgis?

So I don't want to be a wimp and trailer my bike driving thru the night with a buddy. I have a three day ride there and a three day ride back. That leaves me three days and nights that I can attend the event due to work commitments. Never been before. What dates should we plan to go?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
jdpkwuait
Novice

When I went, there were not any days any better than others. Just as long as you go. Now for my own thoughts, if Sturgis is your dream trip, trailer out and have more time to see all the area has to offer as well as all the good times you will have there. Too me, don't let allow others ideas and thoughts concerning trailers sway you, and I am not calling you a wimp. Your note did not mention the good times to be had during your 6 day trip to and from Sturgis, just you wondering what days may be better than others. Trailer your bike and be more rested once you arrive. Just me thinking outloud. Have a great and safe trip.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

check out sturgis.com and see all the events and the times listed. check out what you want to see the most and go for those days..

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm sort of looking at the same situation as Clocker and using a trailer wouldn't really cut down on my travel time . . . maybe the Preparation H but not the travel time.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always enjoyed arriving on Sunday and leaving on Thursday morning. I usually take 3-4 days to ride out from California and make it back in 3 days. I've found that there is plenty to do and see during that time frame in the Sturgis area.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:43 AM
tppilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jdpkwuait
Now for my own thoughts, if Sturgis is your dream trip, trailer out and have more time to see all the area has to offer as well as all the good times you will have there. Too me, don't let allow others ideas and thoughts concerning trailers sway you, and I am not calling you a wimp. Your note did not mention the good times to be had during your 6 day trip to and from Sturgis, just you wondering what days may be better than others. Trailer your bike and be more rested once you arrive. Just me thinking outloud. Have a great and safe trip.
I second that..........make the trip the experience you want it to be and don't worry about anyone labeling you a wimp.

I went in 2008 and at the time, everyone told me the event seems to peak during the second weekend, I believe. We took the motorhome (trailered the bikes), stayed at Glencoe and had a freaking blast. Can't wait to do it again!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 AM
artz
Road Master

Folks, I can't believe I'm reading this. The "T' word.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For my hubby and me the ride to and from Sturgis is all part of the adventure.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Ol Biker
Road Master

While the riding and the party at Sturgis IS something to look forward to, the ride to and from with a group of friends is jus as big a part of the experience. There are great roads, attractions, and memories to be made on the ride.
................. just saying............

Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by harley9607
For my hubby and me the ride to and from Sturgis is all part of the adventure.
good attitude. i wish it were contagious. too many people go to rallies as tourists. i don't know when the rally became the trip, and the ride became a nuisance ??

some complain they can't make the rally without a trailer. maybe the rally isn't meant for them? maybe they should support their local rally?

i'm not into the exclusive biker attitude. i just want less tourism and more bikering. "screw it, lets ride" should be more than just a $24 t-shirt.

Quick Reply: Best 3 days and nights at Sturgis?