General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 3 days and nights at Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

For me, I like to make it a 2 day ride out. I can do the 1550 miles myself without a problem in two days. We add an extra day when my wife and son come along.
In the years I go alone or with friends, the best party days are through Wednesday or Thursday. Depending on what type of action you are looking for.
Jackyl on Thursday night has long been a traditional cue to get back on the road again. By the weekend you're dealing with a different set of party people. Depending on how you feel about rap music that may be OK for you.
I've always hit the road before the second weekend. This year I'll pull up stakes on Thursday morning after the Motley Crue concert.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
daleg3556
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing last year. 3 days out, three days there and 3 days back. Honestly the journey has as many memories as the destination. Wouildn't do it any different if I go again. As far as the days, look at what you want to do. I know this year CCR and the Guess Who are going to be at the Buffalo Chip on August 8. If I were going this year I would want to try and make that. After witnessing Steve Tyler of Aerosmith falling off the stage last year at the Chip would like to go back sometime. Have a great time. Wish I was going. Dale

Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the journey part is becoming a lost experience. I've known guys who didn't make it to Sturgis but they still had a great time wherever it was they were. That's what it's all about. Hell, if you're pressed for time, why not fly in and ride, that seems to be the way of today's "biker". Back in the 80's I used to love sitting on overpasses, watch and listen to the bikes going by, both coming and going. It's been quite a few years since I went out there, I got fed up with the "new" era, but the last time I went we sat on the overpass and saw a huge amount of trailers going by. Do what you like, but my best experiences have been those on the journey, not at the destination. Of course, I'm old school and my idea of a good time is more than just acting like an idiot and dealing with the stupidity of others. Go ahead, have fun, screw what others think.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM
hiplainsheritage2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the schedules for the Buffalo Chip, FTS, Rockin' the Rally, and the Broken Spoke campground if concerts are your thing. You can then pick the nights. To me, I don't see a bad night for a concert.

If you aren't into concerts, any night will do. LOL.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocker
So I don't want to be a wimp and trailer my bike driving thru the night with a buddy. I have a three day ride there and a three day ride back. That leaves me three days and nights that I can attend the event due to work commitments. Never been before. What dates should we plan to go?
I would suggest the beginning days or Middle of the Rally. And not the tail end of it. Watched a Sturgis rally show and it appears that the locals populate the event. The Full Throttle had "RAP" for there last couple day concert.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
BQ2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the ride
went last year. 3 days out, week there and 3 days back.
there is so much to see and do that when ever you go you
wont be bored or have enough time to do everything you want.
Just go with the flow and dont sweat the small stuff

Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Yeah, the journey part is becoming a lost experience.
The trip out and rides around the black hills are the real deal. The rally is just another rally.

It will be flippin' unreal traffic this year. At the 60th there were close to 750,000 critters there. Wait in line for a shower (plan on showering late at night), wait in line to pee, wait in line for a hot dog. The whole place was in parade mode. I look for a lot of Twinkies to lock up this year. Best days then were the days it was raining. No many riding.

Look at the schedule and go see what you want be it Jackyl or Elton John (oh sorry that was Milwaukee - sorry still a little bitter). It's the Black Hills so be prepared for anything weather wise, Most of all have fun!

P.S. If heading to the Full Throttle or Chip for a concert, get there hours early, otherwise your bike will melt in the long a$$ line.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 07-07-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going there for the party, or to ride the Black Hills, or a little of both?

If you are going to ride the Black Hills (some of the best riding in the world!) you want to go just before or after the rally. During the rally, the roads can be so crowded that you could walk your bike across the corkscrew bridges as fast as you could ride. It starts to get real busy on the roads during the first weekend - try to get there on the Wednesday or Thursday before.

If you are going for the party, check out what bands are playing on what nights and adjust your schedule to be there on those nights.

BigLow

Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I guess I don't get it what does trailering have to do with how long it takes to get there? I can make just as good of time on my bike as I can in a pick-up pulling a trailer .

Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Watched a Sturgis rally show and it appears that the locals populate the event.
Dude, I don't want to rag on you, but if this is the extent of your Sturgis experience, you're giving advice???????? F$%K, I'm going to go out and buy an SOA patch so I can be a 1%er.

Quick Reply: Best 3 days and nights at Sturgis?