General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006 | 05:55 PM
Anvil
|
Stage II
Default Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

I'm wondering what oppinion the H-D community has of Triumph, particularly the Rocket III.

I'm very interested in the forums oppinions.

Old 08-26-2006 | 06:13 PM
fatrob
Cruiser
Default RE: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Triumphs are built close to where I live in the UK - a place called Hinckley.

Over here they enjoy a good reputation for delivering quality, well built bikes - good reliability and after service. Most Triumphs ridden over here are Sports/Tourers (the favoured bike in UK [:@]), but there are a few Bonnevilles, Americas etc. The Rocket III has an awesome reputation as a cruisin' heavyweight - lot of bike for the money, but not too many on the roads over here.

I think if I didn't ride HD, I would look very closely at Triumph.

Old 08-26-2006 | 06:24 PM
Alias
Road Master

I for one love the Bonneville. I had one when I was a kid back in the mid "60's" and am looking at one to go with my SB. The dealer here in South Florida has the retro TT pipes for them and it really does look like my old Bonny. Great Bikes!

Old 08-26-2006 | 06:26 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

If for some reason I couldn't ride a HD I think they would be one of my top pick's

Old 08-26-2006 | 07:03 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

My last bike was an '05 Triumph America. Really a great bike all around. Not at all a Harley "wannabe", it got a lot of approving looks from H-D riders. Sold it because it wasn't heavy enough to be a comfortable long-range highway cruiser, or powerful enough, at under 800cc's, to be a competent sport tourer. They also have a pretty weak dealer network.

Not familiar personally with Triumph's sport bikes, but I understand they'll hold their own with the competition.

I looked seriously at the Rocket III, but took a pass based on its looks. With all its power and other virtues, it's one ugly machine, in my opinion. Its radiator is as big as the one on my car, and the engine itself looks rather like a farm implement, compared with the work of mechanical art that's on my FLSTCI.

By the way, their motor clothes put H-D stuff in the shade, both in quality and price. Worth a look.

Old 08-26-2006 | 07:34 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain

I like Triumphs. My brother rides a Thunderbird. It's a great bike with a lot of power. I also like the Thruxton. The speed triple has always been a favorite of mine. If I ever picked up a Triumph, it would probably be a speed triple as a second bike.

I would like to ride a Rocket III just to see what it can do. I'm sure it's an awesome bike, but the thing is hideous. It's not symetrical, the dual headlight looks cool on the speed triple, but it looks goofy on a cruiser, and that motor isn't aesthetically appealing at all. I think if they made a blacked out version with no chrome, did something different with the radiator, it might look ok.

Old 08-26-2006 | 08:17 PM
rde
Road Captain

I often spend time in the local Triumph/BMW showroom checking out the bikes. I am seriously thinking about buying a Bonneville for the wife. I like Triumphs alot, and their reputation is excellent.

My first love affair with bikes was with a Bonneville in the late 60's

My personal favorite metric is a Ducati ST3 with ABS, but my wife is too petite to handle it. That would probably be my sport/touring bike of choice if it were just for me. But between you and me, I'm looking forward to riding the Bonneville sometimes

Old 08-26-2006 | 08:45 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

Like Triumphs.. Specially the Bonneville and the Scrambler. Thinking about picking one of those up as a second bike. Either that or a Ducati GT 1000. Haven't decided yet.

Don't think I would get a Rocket III. It costs about what a Harley would cost you..And is a cruiser..why not just get a Harley?

Old 08-26-2006 | 09:17 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Triumph has some nice cruisers. The Rocket III is just that when you get past the monster weight. I like the Bonnys (specially the Black), but a little cramped for me.

After HD and Victory, I'd still consider one.

Old 08-26-2006 | 09:22 PM
toolbox
Road Master

They are a good bike, However you should get what YOU WANT, not what someone else thinks you need. I've always felt , go with your gut! And enjoy whatever you should end up riding! You will have your knees in the breeze,right?!!!
TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/9A4877E1CA224B779540DD898E401119.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.